Microwaves

brue replied on 25/04/2018 15:39

Posted on 25/04/2018 15:39

Just reading through comments on the new glamping pods and their cooking equipment which includes a microwave got me thinking....

I returned to work about 34 years ago when our youngest of three was about six years old. With my first months wages I went out and bought a microwave. They were heralded as the saviour in the kitchen, microwave cookery books proliferated and I joined in with a variety of attempts at microwave cookery. Anaemic looking sponge cakes were my speciality. wink Since then I've always had one and also have one in the present motorhome.

My efforts have dwindled. Mostly now using it to heat up milk for coffee. Make porridge and heat the occasional ready meal. 

So what do you use yours for or do you happily manage without? smile

Dawn F replied on 25/04/2018 15:45

Posted on 25/04/2018 15:45

We have a microwave in our caravan, it is stored under the seat so is a pain to get in and out, I think we have used it twice in two years and even then hubby complained that he didn't like his tea warmed up in plastic bowl.  So not really sure why we have it but maybe one day I will be grateful we have

DavidKlyne replied on 25/04/2018 16:25

Posted on 25/04/2018 16:25

On a day to day basis ours is mainly used for heating milk for coffee and Margaret does her porridge in the mornings. We do have the occasional ready meal. It's good for anything that just needs heating. I don't like vegetables  cooked in the microwave. We do have a wonderful microwave rice cooker which produces excellently cooked rice. Margaret also makes really good casseroles in the microwave. We obviously use it a lot more than I think!!!

Slightly different in the motorhome where it is used less but still handy. It tends to cut out on longer cooks and I wonder if it is getting enough ventilation.

David

HelenandTrevor replied on 25/04/2018 17:08

Posted on 25/04/2018 17:08

I will admit that when we got our first van with a microwave I didn't think I'd ever use it  as I don't use ours at home much.

However I have found it useful when away. I use it for cooking jacket potatoes and other vegetables,  also the occasional ready meal. I sometimes buy the packets of microwave rice which cook in 2 minutes, very handy.wink

Tammygirl replied on 25/04/2018 17:16

Posted on 25/04/2018 17:16

In the house I use the microwave for jacket potatoes, heating home cooked meals, milk, porridge, soup and peas and sweetcorn. They are the only veg I cook in there as most other ones go rubbery.

In the MH, pretty much the same as above wink 

moulesy replied on 25/04/2018 18:06

Posted on 25/04/2018 18:06

We don't tend to use ours all that much. When I'm on my own I will use it for poached or scrambled eggs for breakfast and to heat up mushy peas to go with the fish & chips! wink

SteveL replied on 25/04/2018 18:13

Posted on 25/04/2018 18:13

Occasionally ready produced products. However, ours gets used most for cooking vegetables. However, not jacket potatoes, those are horrible and soggy in the microwave. In the van we have a lightweight plastic microwave steamer, which does not let much of the steam escape and is great for broccoli, cauliflower, beans and asparagus, to name but a few. Apart from that OH heats her porridge and I use it for my baked beans.

Like brue when we first had one we tried most things. Some said they were good for fish, but personally I think it alters the texture, and not in a nice way.

Vicmallows replied on 25/04/2018 18:48

Posted on 25/04/2018 18:48

Can I claim the prize for the oldest microwave still in everyday use? ...It's a  'Moffat',  is 38 years old, enormous, and built (in USA) like a tank. Not a single fault since new.

We have only ever really used it for defrosting/reheating. Wife does insist on giving her baked potato a burst before putting it in the ordinary oven......but I agree with SteveL and insist mine only goes in the oven. smile

(P.S.   Just realised our dishwasher (a 'Currys Special' Zanussi) beats it at 41 years old and also still going ....though seldom used just for 2 of us frown).

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook