Low Calorie Meals - Mainly 300 and 400 Calorie

replied on 28/02/2017 22:36

Posted on 28/02/2017 22:36

I have devised some low calorie meals. OH gas lost over 69 stones gradually over two years. As I do nearly all evening meals I have worked up some low calorie ones. I will try and post one every couple of days if folk are interested. I have calorie counted them all but have not allowed for a drop of oil in cooking if not in the ingredient list

replied on 28/02/2017 22:47

Posted on 28/02/2017 22:47

Fish or Seafood Pie. Serves 2 - 400 cals/ portion

Ingredients

250g of plain white fish

250g smoked fish

80g thinly sliced onion

100g sliced Mushroom

270g potatoes for mash

80g Fat free fromage frais

30ml Skimmed milk

Fish stock

30ml white wine

½ teaspoon of dried parsley

Optional V small pinch tarragon

2 tsp cornflour

Seasoning

clove of garlic sliced and cooked with onions for last few mins of their cooking

60g green beans cut in half

0r  60g leaf and tom salad

If available I use a 3 fish pie mix of salmon, white fish and smoked fish from ASDA which made 380 cals instead of listed fish but add 45g raw prawns. Prawns are low calorie and more would be nice maybe 90g.

The cornflour in the fish stock is important as is cooling in the method. It means that when the white wine is stirred in it will not split and the quark (I use a seasoned one) will not split either.

Preparation method
Remove fromage frais from fridge. Start the potato for 25 mins

Heat splash of oil in a sauté pan and gently fry the onion for a 7 or so mins, until soft.. Add garlic and mushrooms part way through. Remove from pan and set aside.

Season fish on each side with pepper and steam in covered sauté pan for 8mins in mix of water and a little milk. Set fish aside and clean pan. Break into chunks when cool.

In a saucepan add a little boiling water stir in ¼ of fish stock cube, dissolve stock cube and add milk. Heat slowly.  When hot but not boiling, add 2 tsp cornflour mixed with a little milk, heat stirring until thickened – do not boil. Leave to cool for 10 mins.

Mash potatoes after seasoning with pepper or or pinch of nutmeg or other spice and a teaspoon of butter and Parsley. (I used dried for this)

Put onions etc and fish in small oven proof dish.

Add  white wine to cooled sauce and then Quark or fromage frais, stirring well. Pour over fish and onions and top with potato mash.

Bake at 200 for 40 or 45 mins. About 5 mins before the end of cooking time turn oven down to 110C and put green beans to cook on the hob in boiling water. Remove bake and set aside whilst warming plates. When beans have been in for 10 mins dish up.

Bakers2 replied on 01/03/2017 08:17

Posted on 01/03/2017 08:17

Easy thank you so much.  I'll be trying them so grateful.

I am totally flaggestered by your OH weight loss quoted 😂😂😂. If it's that's good I'll only need a day or two 😉

Bakers2 replied on 01/03/2017 08:30

Posted on 01/03/2017 08:30

EasyT  sorry if I sounded over familiar 😂 your name corrected by delightful predective text  but I'd not noticed until edit expired. 

replied on 01/03/2017 10:02

Posted on 01/03/2017 10:02

I see that I have referred to Fromage Frais in the above ingredients. I actually use Quark Cooking Cheese with Garlic and Herb. I prefer Quark for cooking and find it easy to use. Could also have used low fat ricotta.

If doing an omelette A generous teaspoon of quark per egg makes for a fluffy omelette. 

replied on 01/03/2017 10:09

Posted on 01/03/2017 10:05 by Bakers2

Have you checked out your OH's quoted weight loss??

Posted on 01/03/2017 10:09

Ooops! Fat Finger Fudge! Should be over 6 stones weight loss. embarassed 

replied on 02/03/2017 09:11

Posted on 02/03/2017 09:11

Chicken and Vegetable Tray Bake. Serves 2 400 cals/ portion

Ingredients

240g large salad potatoes

2 large ripe tomatoes 200g

120g red onions

120g  pepper

100 g mushrooms thickly sliced

300g skinless chicken breast

2 cloves of garlic

¼ bunch of fresh thyme

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Tbsp olive oil

Tbsp balsamic vinegar

Could use chicken thighs. If leaving skin on reduce oil to 6ml, add a splash of water and reduce potatoes to 160g.

Preparation method

Cut the Chicken into thick chunks and marinade in a little oil along with any preferred additions for 30 mins to help prevent it drying out during baking.

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4.

Parboil potatoes for 10 - 15 mins. Cool and slice.

Quarter the tomatoes or maybe in eighths and place them in a large 10’’ base baking dish or roasting tray (roughly 25cm x 285cm) and add mushroom.

Peel the onions and cut into large wedges, then deseed and roughly chop the peppers. Add all these to the tray along with the chicken but not marinade oil .

Squash and peel garlic cloves, rough chop and add to the tray, then pick over the thyme leaves, sprinkle over with the paprika.

Add Tbsp Balsamic and Tblsp oil, a good pinch of sea salt if desired and black pepper. Toss everything together really well to coat, then spread across the tray, making sure the chicken isn't covered by the vegetables and push potatoes to bottom.

Roast for around 35-40 mins or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, turning and basting it a few times during cooking with the juices from the tray. Time depends on oven.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook