I want a proper plate.

Remus replied on 11/03/2016 09:53

Posted on 11/03/2016 09:53

A dislike of mine is to be served my restaurant meal on a flat piece of wood or other strange object.  One wrong move and chips, peas and assorted other ingredients fall off onto the table or the floor.  Sometimes the situation is made worse by the fact that some parts of the meal are in their own separate containers which require more care when eating.  Pies still in a small bowl, sauces ditto.  Chips inserted into small metal galvanised "buckets" etc etc.  Just put my meal on a normal plate please, I like to eat my food not juggle with it!

DSB replied on 11/03/2016 10:07

Posted on 11/03/2016 10:07

......peas are definitely the worst.  Although they tend to give you a large spoon to transfer, I always loose one or two in the process.....  And I always find they give you too many peas.

David 

JillwithaJay replied on 11/03/2016 10:07

Posted on 11/03/2016 10:07

I thought it was just me who was old fashioned in my preference for the serving of food.  I also prefer a decent plate and why build food up into a tower when the first thing the diner has to do is knock it down.

300 siggy photo 6b161378-22ab-47bd-97dd-22af5e8f67ba_zpsbtkpqljt.jpg

Navigateur replied on 11/03/2016 10:17

Posted on 11/03/2016 10:17

And supply your drink in a bottle alone.  Even when one has had to ask for a glass it is usually the wrong size, and one is expected to pour it oneself. Which is possible slightly better than watching the "waiter" make a right mess of it and get froth everywhere.

Arzberg1 replied on 11/03/2016 10:33

Posted on 11/03/2016 10:33

Hi JillwithaJay DSB & Remus,

I would say you are far from being Old Fashioned it is to the greater part most peoples choice to have their meal on a Plate, however there are so called Themen restaurants who do tend to serve food on various recipticals. Here in Bavaria we were once served food in a miniturized wheel barrow which was fun though not something I would like to have often. Having chips served in small buckets is more 'trendy' in association with a Pub meal, I have found this a couple of times when in Scotland on courses, even had fish served in a bucket and cut into strips :-).

In Bayern it is the custom to have cold cuts and cheese served on a wooden platter when in a more traditional pub.

Either way I guess that it is impossible to find the 'middle' route to appease everyone.

Have a great day everyone.

moulesy replied on 11/03/2016 11:09

Posted on 11/03/2016 11:09

Soz, thought this was a spin off from Admiral's post about his car reg problems!! Wink

JayEss replied on 11/03/2016 12:14

Posted on 11/03/2016 12:14

I don't mind slates or chopping boards too much although I prefer a plate but I loathe having my food arranged into an artistic tower with a smudge of sauce. 

I make a point of noisily dismantling and rearranging it 

Takethedogalong replied on 11/03/2016 12:51

Posted on 11/03/2016 12:51

Pretentious nonsense most of it! (I don't include food served abroad, when one chooses to partake of a different culture one should respect that culture!)

Reminds me of a night out with my OHs Fire Service colleagues, after tiny plates, artistically arranged were plonked in front of all. There was a deathly silence, a sharp intake of breath and then the Manager was called. He was left under no uncertain terms that everyone had come for a meal, not the end of night scraps!

Navigateur replied on 11/03/2016 13:12

Posted on 11/03/2016 13:12

I loathe having my food arranged into an artistic tower with . 

. . .  the stuff I want to eat first placed at the bottom.

Where are the days when a diner would transpose his knife and fork to signify that he was not right-handed and the waiter would worlessly place items on his plate accordingly.

brue replied on 11/03/2016 15:17

Posted on 11/03/2016 15:17

We were in Salisbury this week and had a pub lunch with friends. My creation came on a board with a can of chips. I chose a "veggie" burger made from a field mushroom, goats cheese, onion marmalade and peppers...these over ambitious burgers now require a pin (bamboo this time) to hold everything together, trouble is as soon as you try to dismantle it everything goes everywhere, the board doesn't work, no chance of picking it up and just eating it! The others had an assortment of choices but everything was split into liitle bowls...at least we could pass the spares round.

It was a very old timbered pub, no doubt in days of yore they used to get some good trenchermen in there, I expect they ate from wooden plates but probably the right shape? Smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook