Fish For Thought

catherinef replied on 26/08/2017 10:28

Posted on 26/08/2017 10:28

If you are very much into fish, but like us don't have a fishmonger near you and aren't that fussed with the limited offerings of the local supermarket then I can recommend these people

https://www.fishforthought.co.uk

I had a delivery earleier this week and brought it straight to the caravan.  It is a little messy because of the amount of ice they pack in the box but it really is superbly fresh and great quality.

I've done this week a wonderful crab risotto and mussels in wine and cream.  

DavidKlyne replied on 26/08/2017 12:50

Posted on 26/08/2017 12:50

Whilst it seems pretty comprehensive you have to buy quite a lot of fish to make it worthwhile and to justify the delivery charge. However I can see the convenience of it if you have nowhere locally. Our Waitrose has a pretty good selection of fish and on Friday there is always a 20% discount, the trouble is we always shop on Thursday!!! Had some nice smoked haddock yesterday or what we used to call yellow fish when we were kids!!!

David

Wherenext replied on 26/08/2017 16:33

Posted on 26/08/2017 16:33

Thanks Catherinef. I love fish but it has to be super fresh. I do find the supermarkets, in general, very poor and it makes me laugh when you see Tesco's, for example, getting an award for being "Best...."

Not a patch on those supermarkets in France which, by and large, tend to be very well stocked and also knowledgeable.

Will look into the website you've mentioned when we return from our autumn trip away.

SteveL replied on 27/08/2017 08:47

Posted on 27/08/2017 08:47

Thanks C useful information, but I tend to agree with DK, very comprehensive but somewhat pricey. We are fortunate in that we have a Waitrose within 16 miles, which I rate on quality and freshness, if not the ability of the staff to clean / scale etc. 👎 Also, even better, we have a traveling fishman 🐟 🦀 who visits once a week straight from Grimsby. Having picked the fish up at some ridiculous hour. No pre orders required, except for Christmas, and exceptionally fresh. He has nowhere near the range of this company, so will file away the info for future reference. However, his prices are about half on the products he sells, which are the old favourites, plus a few that change each week. He has been coming for about 6 years now and seems to have a firm customer base, so fingers crossed he will continue for many years to come.😀

replied on 27/08/2017 08:58

Posted on 27/08/2017 08:58

No fishmonger convenient here. One thing that I have not been able to buy therefore is salmon steaks. All damned fillets

Fisherman replied on 27/08/2017 18:13

Posted on 27/08/2017 18:13

Just back from the mountain lakes.Kept one wild brown trout of about 1.25lb. Nothing fresher or more organic for my lunch tomorrow.

ggregu replied on 28/08/2017 08:37

Posted on 28/08/2017 08:37

I've just been to Cornwall for 5 weeks and as I love fish, this is what I've eaten most days!

I was lucky enough to be close to a great supplier in Mullion, Kelynack Fish who mainly supply to the trade but have a good selection of super-fresh fish available each day. Really good prices too!

When I'm home, good fish Isn't so easy to come by. Supermarkets, even Waitrose are a no no for me as the quality is so poor. I have used a similar arrangement to the OP. Stevensons of Newlyn supply fish boxes and the range and quality is amazing, all locally caught and landed. Order before 4pm for next day delivery, packed in ice. Each variety is individually packed so ready for freezing. www.stevensonsofnewlyn.co.uk 

brue replied on 28/08/2017 15:58

Posted on 28/08/2017 15:58

Also Harveys for shellfish in Newlyn, a lot of it goes to France, so when you're "over there" wink  you're probably eating Cornish sea food, they land in the french ports too. Also lots of Scottish fish go to France.

EasyT, if you want salmon steaks you could buy a whole salmon and cut the steaks yourself, freeze what you don't need.

OH saw a salmon swimming into West Bay harbour near Bridport this week, heading for the river where there is a salmon "gate." If you stand on the area between the harbour and the river you'll see shoals of grey mullet as well.

Fisherman replied on 28/08/2017 17:31

Posted on 28/08/2017 17:31

Who would want to eat Farmed Salmon.  Fed on pelleted offal, medicated to heaven to reduce lice and other intensive farmed products. Uch.

brue replied on 28/08/2017 17:55

Posted on 28/08/2017 17:55

Not suggesting anyone buys farmed salmon or other farmed fish like "sea" bass. I like fish from our cold waters, never buy fish from elsewhere. smile 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook