Air fryers

DEBSC replied on 22/09/2022 08:58

Posted on 22/09/2022 08:58

I see that someone asked a question on their power last year but the discussion didn’t go far. This question is for those that use one. With fuel prices going up OH is looking at fuel saving and having the cooker on less. Whilst away we met a chap who uses his air fryer for almost all his cooking and firmly recommended them. However, it seems everyone has the same idea and the larger ones can’t be bought anywhere. Lakeland can’t get them in stock until at least November, with many others the same. Now people are selling them on various websites, eBay, for twice their original price, this always seems to happen when supply of an item is short. My question is, are they really as good as they sound? And if you have one what make would you recommend. Despite all his enthusiasm OH never cooks so guess who will be left to use it, that is if we can ever get one.

eurortraveller replied on 22/09/2022 09:38

Posted on 22/09/2022 09:38

Ours was £50 from Amazon and is labelled  Tower - I have cooked frozen chips in it for the last five years and if I used it for other things all the other foods would smell of chips. Perhaps I should wash it.

Bude Camper replied on 22/09/2022 10:08

Posted on 22/09/2022 10:08

We bought one last week (whilst we were away in our caravan!).  

It's a Salter one and was half price (apparently!) in Robert Dyas in Dorchester (£49.99).

The lady in shop said it's been her most popular sale for weeks!

Since we've been home, I've used it 3 times!  Onion bhajis were fantastic.  Frozen roast potatoes took next to no time and bog-standard chips were quick too. Looking for recipes to use it more often.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/09/2022 10:10

Posted on 22/09/2022 10:10

I looked and investigated what sort of food we might cook in it. Same with a Remoska. Both look good ideas, but for us probably not worth investing in. We are going to utilise our existing slow cooker and steamer more. I hate having underused kitchen gadgets around as well. But air fryers could work well for others.

DEBSC replied on 22/09/2022 10:17

Posted on 22/09/2022 10:17

Because of the name I discounted them, I cook very little fried food. However, after seeing a cooking demonstration of someone cooking cakes in one, they tasted good, and the person recommending them saying he cooks all meals but casseroles in his, including a roast, I thought again. I think the name is a bit misleading, seems like they are more like small fan ovens. We can get a small one but large ones are harder to source. Thanks for the replies.

Amesford replied on 22/09/2022 10:58

Posted on 22/09/2022 10:58

We have had one at home for some years so last year we bought a smaller one for the caravan which we use in the awning great for cooking steaks ect and easy to clean

ABM replied on 23/09/2022 17:31

Posted on 23/09/2022 17:31

Hmmm,  do you have to have a container of 'frying air' to use with them please ??

Don't blame me for the delay in responding,  I got  " Maintenanced "  AGAIN last night  yell

brue replied on 03/10/2022 16:24

Posted on 03/10/2022 16:24

Did you buy one Debsc? I was interested in the idea although listening to Jamie Oliver on the radio last night he suggested that people might save by not buying appliances just now and using what they've got eg cooking on the hob rather than using an oven (and using an oven when it can be fully used etc.)

vbfg replied on 03/10/2022 17:12

Posted on 03/10/2022 16:24 by brue

Did you buy one Debsc? I was interested in the idea although listening to Jamie Oliver on the radio last night he suggested that people might save by not buying appliances just now and using what they've got eg cooking on the hob rather than using an oven (and using an oven when it can be fully used etc.)

Posted on 03/10/2022 17:12

Well you could cook on the hob, but I find that an air fryer (they are actually a mini fan oven), cooks food far better than on the hob as it cooks all over instead of just on one side and if you are cooking steak, chops, chicken or duck legs or breasts, you don't usually need to spray it with any oil at all and sausages are cooked all over, instead of on just 2 sides.  It also cooks them far quicker than in a full size oven and uses less electricity as it is far smaller.  My friend has a NInja 3 in one cooker which is even better as it gives you more ways to cook in it. I bought a smaller one than I use at home to take in the M/H with me, from Aldi for £30.00.

brue replied on 03/10/2022 17:50

Posted on 03/10/2022 17:50

smile Well yes I will be cooking on the hob or using a slow cooker. It's interesting to hear about. I don't eat much meat although I cook meat for OH and I tend to batch cook. The slow cooker will do a meal for two days or a freezer meal etc.

I've been listening and learning and after the initial expense know that air fryers are the cheapest to run.

Thanks. 

DEBSC replied on 04/10/2022 08:53

Posted on 03/10/2022 16:24 by brue

Posted on 04/10/2022 08:53

Yes Brue, OH finally sourced one from Currys. He was quick off the mark as they were sold out within the hour. I was waiting to get one from Lakeland, due to their after sales service, they finally got some but straight away sold out, strange that a few days later lots of Lakeland air fryers were being sold on eBay for twice the original price - and people were buying them! So obvious what was happening.

Yes, despite my reservations (OHs idea) it is very good. We got a larger one with the double compartments. We have only had it a few days. So far have only tried fish, sausages, fishcakes and chips, all cooked fine. Haven’t put any oil on anything yet. Last night we had cold chicken left from a roast so ideal not to put all the oven on just for a few oven chips. I’m going to try homemade scotch eggs next, don’t like deep frying them so think this way will be ideal.

I do also use the slow cooker a lot. Made a really nice steak and ale stew, tripled up the recipe so enough in the freezer for another day, then some to go into a steak and ale pie. I wouldn’t be without the slow cooker. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook