Seargent Pepper

moulesy replied on 01/06/2017 18:53

Posted on 01/06/2017 18:53

"It was 50 years ago today ...." that The Beatles released the Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. I still have it on vinyl and (not so good,  CD) and although it doesn't get played that much these days, it's stood the test of time well.

Anyone else still playing it?

I wonder how much of today's music will still be being talked about and celebrated in 2067!! 

Pliers replied on 01/06/2017 19:41

Posted on 01/06/2017 19:41

I have the album on vinyl too, up in the loft somewhere.... must get round to sorting them all out.

Great album, I think "A day in the life" is probably my favourite track.

2067? maybe some of The Courteeners music will be still about 🤔, but I'm certain I won't be still about to hear it!

young thomas replied on 01/06/2017 20:47

Posted on 01/06/2017 20:47

ah, but it was 70 years ago today, that Sgt Papper taught the band to play....wink

Ray Connolly wrote a review a few days ago in the paper and bemoaned (rightly) that Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields Forever didnt make it onto the album, despite being the first two songs recorded during the sessions (and being 'amongst' the best)

this was due to Parlaphone demanding a single (this became a double A side) and the Beatles having a policy of no singles appearing on their albums.... 

RC also suggested that there were two tracks on the album that shouldnt have made it ......Good Morning and Within You, Without You.

...even suggesting that 95% of owners wouldn't be able to remember this GH classic.....

ok, here goes...."we were talking about the space between us all......" etc....wink

Loke M, i have a fairly early original (1967) pressing on vinyl (complete with all the sleeve 'inserts' and another copy on CD.....and a digital copy on ipod.

for those who are interested in the value of old 'classics' just google and you'll be surprised at how much an original Sgt P or Heroes or Led Zep IV can make....has to be the right pressing, though.....

ValDa replied on 01/06/2017 21:28

Posted on 01/06/2017 21:28

When my son bought his first home about twelve years ago he borrowed our Sergeant Pepper album - and a lot of other 'classics' (the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers  with zipper amongst them) , which are probably now worth a fortune!  He also borrowed all my favourites such as Van Morrison, The Byrds, JJ Cale, Eric Clapton, and others, AND our record deck!!!  Every so often we buy a replacement vinyl LP for those that we used to own.  The originals of these are now down in London in Clapton, with the 'hipsters'!  We had to buy a new deck, too, to play them on!

Oneputt replied on 02/06/2017 06:20

Posted on 02/06/2017 06:20

I brought my copy about a week after it was released.  Some years ago I got my brother to put it on to a CD, it's now on my iPod and the vinyl is in the loft.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook