RAF at 100

DavidKlyne replied on 02/04/2018 16:12

Posted on 02/04/2018 16:12

Just watched the Ewan and Colin Gregor about the RAF and its 100th birthday. For those that like men and machines it could be an interesting watch. Lovely to see the interviews with surviving members of the service, especially the two ladies of the ATA who delivery new planes to the RAF bases. 

David

Metheven replied on 02/04/2018 16:32

Posted on 02/04/2018 16:32

Excellent documentary, sadly Joy Lofthouse died late last year. They flew every conceivable plane from the Spitfire to the Wellington, credit where its due to the women who delivered straight from the factory.

Kennine replied on 02/04/2018 18:46

Posted on 02/04/2018 18:46

Excellent programmes celebrating the progress of the RAF presented by the McGregor brothers. ----  I have just come off the phone to an elderly friend of mine, who was an aerial photographer in the RAF and we talked about how aerial photography progressed from the very early days to the point at which film ceased to be used. ( it's all digital images now ). Very interesting conversation. Very interesting guy.

K . 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 02/04/2018 19:32

Posted on 02/04/2018 18:46 by Kennine

Excellent programmes celebrating the progress of the RAF presented by the McGregor brothers. ----  I have just come off the phone to an elderly friend of mine, who was an aerial photographer in the RAF and we talked about how aerial photography progressed from the very early days to the point at which film ceased to be used. ( it's all digital images now ). Very interesting conversation. Very interesting guy.

K . 

Posted on 02/04/2018 19:32

Plane spotting isn’t my thing but it’s good that minority interests are being catered forπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Takethedogalong replied on 03/04/2018 12:40

Posted on 03/04/2018 12:40

We caught most of this last night, and it was very interesting. I recall the Macgregor's programme about Fighter pilots, so very interesting to listen to the Bomber Boys stories. But listening to the old news reel commentary took some doing, shocking hearing the deaths of so many human beings so casually and almost jauntily described. The flyers themselves were so brave, not just in what they actually did, but having to follow such orders knowing what it meant to those on the ground. They have lived through such horror, been asked to do some terrible things to keep us safe at the time.

tigerfish replied on 04/04/2018 00:50

Posted on 04/04/2018 00:50

Yes we tend to gloss over the fact that  Bomber command lost over 55,000 aircrew during that period, yet they were the only service denied recognition after the war. No campaign medals and no recognition Of Arthur "Bomber" Harris. He was doing what he was told to do, but nevertheless made a scape goat after the War ended. 

No now seems to remember that London was heavily bombed almost every night from late September 1940 until about June 1941.  The docklands of the East End, home to many thousands of Londoners was bombed almost out of existence.  Yet Harris was criticised for repaying the complement!  I don't think that would have been the case in any other Country.  

TF

Kennine replied on 04/04/2018 10:14

Posted on 04/04/2018 10:14

Yes TF the brave members of Bomber Command were dreadfully treated by Churchill and his mates.  Those young men and their commanders of Bomber Command were carrying out the government's orders to give the enemy a taste of their own medicine and should have been honoured accordingly.  Fortunately for the Allies, Bomber Command were successful and by their brave actions shortened the war.  Arthur Harris was a hero and by his leadership, bomber command did wonderful work in destroying the enemy's ability and capability to invade the UK. 

cool

Wherenext replied on 04/04/2018 16:35

Posted on 04/04/2018 16:35

I was lucky growing up as my father was in the RAF and so I was always surrounded by people who were either directly involved or knew someone who was.

Years later I used to call on a client who was in the American Air Force and was a rear gunner on the bombers. He lost so many of his mates but the tales he used to tell of the camaraderie when not flying used to take up most of our meetings. He said he had no idea how or why he was spared but he was.

peedee replied on 05/04/2018 06:49

Posted on 05/04/2018 06:49

I was lucky growing up as my father was in the RAF and so I was always surrounded by people who were either directly involved or knew someone who was.

Snap and I am old enough to remember lancaster bombers warming up at Scampton before take off.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook