Local News

IanH replied on 15/05/2017 18:56

Posted on 15/05/2017 18:56

Well, I thought that our local news in Yorkshire was bad, but the local news further north is far, far worse.

We in Yorkshire have to endure the dreadful Harry Gration (when will he retire??) with his constant ranting about sport and his love of Bradford (from which he rightly moved to York many years ago).

But in this northern England area, they have football as the headline news, then report a bit official news, then return to football.......then finish with football.

If you live in Cumbria, you barely get a look in, as 95% of the news (such as it is) is about the North East. 

Dreadful!!!

How good is your local news?

Tinwheeler replied on 15/05/2017 19:23

Posted on 15/05/2017 19:23

Very good on BBC in my opinion. I think they get a decent balance of news types and don't favour any particular area.

ITV, though, covers too big an area - Bristol, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire for goodness sake - so there is little of relevance to the extreme South West counties.

brue replied on 15/05/2017 19:29

Posted on 15/05/2017 19:29

We're lucky aren't we TW. I think we have one of the best set ups, nearly always a good mixture with nice presenters.

Bakers2 replied on 15/05/2017 19:37

Posted on 15/05/2017 19:37

BBC East is very good in my opinion. Good mix or news stories and sport. Even splits into to for a bit for East and West. Stuart White Susie Fowler-Wyatt as main anchors sometimes together sometimes alone. Sometimes others. But great generally. We often comment when we're away on the local news. Can't get Anglia these days so can't comment. We are able to get BBC London and I TV London but prefer BBC East.

IanH replied on 15/05/2017 19:40

Posted on 15/05/2017 19:40

I would agree that, when in Cornwall (and the midlands) the coverage is pretty good.

Is it just the Yorkshire area and (even worse) the north of England area that is so bad?

DavidKlyne replied on 15/05/2017 21:37

Posted on 15/05/2017 21:37

We get BBC Look East although as we are at the extreme west of the region most of our news comes from their Cambridge studio. On the whole I think it's pretty good. We often have a half and half programme with the first half coming from Cambridge and the second from Norwich with Stuart and Susie. One advantage of having satellite TV in the motorhome is that we can watch our local news where ever we are. I do take Ian's point that some local regions are not so good. There is a women on BBC South who barks at the screen!!!!

David

ValDa replied on 16/05/2017 10:19

Posted on 16/05/2017 10:19

I quite like Harry Gration, and met him too many years ago to talk about, but he's 66 now, and could have retired in 2011.  I suspect he loves his job.  There are many others at the BBC who are working 'beyond their sell-by date'.  

I personally think the team on Look North do a good job, and must admit that I've never watched Cumbria local news.

DavidKlyne replied on 16/05/2017 12:01

Posted on 16/05/2017 12:01

Val

It must be a tradition on BBC local news to have older presenters who are beyond normal retirement age as Stuart White on Look East is 73 although I think he looks younger.

David

JVB66 replied on 16/05/2017 12:19

Posted on 16/05/2017 12:19

Its the weather girls on local tv that are "interesting" as they seem to keep changing as they all seem to get pregnantsurprised,I think Carol needs to give them advisewink

scoutman replied on 16/05/2017 16:09

Posted on 16/05/2017 16:09

Here in Wales we have excellent news and weather coverage on both BBC Cymru/Wales and ITV Cymru/ Wales only wish we did not have to suffer the constant references to the NHS (England), education (England) on the national (UK) news. The failures/merits of both have no significance to us post devolution, many years now but still not understood by broadcasters over Offa's Dyke.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook