Inspector Montalbano

Takethedogalong replied on 26/06/2022 11:52

Posted on 26/06/2022 11:52

The latest series of this classic (subtitled) Italian detective series is currently showing on BBC 4 on Saturday evenings, with all episodes on BBC Iplayer. All the old cast, locations, food and fun. As brilliant as ever. Next week shows the very last episode, a must for fans of the Inspector and Sicily👍

Cornersteady replied on 26/06/2022 12:23

Posted on 26/06/2022 12:23

Yep, got it to watch! Always love it

Even though I speak Italian fluently (with a Florentine accent we don't pronounce our 'c's - they sort of become 'h's ) I cannot understand some of the Sicilian accents, the main characters are OK but with the real locals I have to read the subtitles!

I remarked on this to my 'real' Italian relativities and to my surprise the said the same except they don't have subtitles! That's what makes it so popular over there, a bit like when Auf Wiedersehen, Pet was first on. Also some of the translation isn't entirely accurate as they tend to make some of the rather more 'offensive expressions' into something nicer.  

Only been that far south a few times and a great place but boy is it hot!

Wherenext replied on 26/06/2022 13:15

Posted on 26/06/2022 13:15

This has slipped by us which is a shame. Must try to catch up on iPlayer before they disappear. I used to read the books but found that towards the end the same story line could be predicted. Camilleri wrote a huge amount of books, not just Montalbano ones.

Talking of accents we were speaking to a German on a campsite in Holland recently. He lives near Bremen in the north and we were talking of accents. We recounted the tale of us visiting the Spreewald area of Germany, just south of Berlin and of speaking in German to some locals there. They said to OH that we must be from Bavaria. Why asked OH? Because we can't understand a word that they say either they replied, proving that Germans really do have a sense of humour! Our German friend said it was true. Most of the rest of Germany find it hard to understand Bavarians.

Takethedogalong replied on 26/06/2022 13:23

Posted on 26/06/2022 13:23

We love Montalbano, and have got the books as well. Enjoyed the Young Montalbano spin offs as well. 

vbfg replied on 26/06/2022 14:30

Posted on 26/06/2022 14:30

I'm a big fan of Montalbano as well.  I love the scenery and the regular, quirky cast.  Sometimes funny then quickly serious when there is a murder or other serious crime  with a dash of Salvo's love of food and his erratic love life, thrown in.  It is so different to the overhyped, overdramatic and poliically correct cops shows which we seem to get these days where the women are all supposed to be "superwomen" types, who can supposedly overpower a criminal with a hand behind their backs.  I hope that they repeat the Cormoran Strike TV series as well as I only caught one of the episodes, really enjoyed it and am reading the novels as well.

DavidKlyne replied on 26/06/2022 19:49

Posted on 26/06/2022 19:49

I thought  they were all repeats? Am I right in thinking that the last series only had a couple of stories? The BBC don't seem to promote this excellent series and I have found I have to go online to check whether In have seen the episode. For those interested there are quite a few videos on YouTube with interviews of the cast.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 26/06/2022 20:30

Posted on 26/06/2022 20:30

Possibly DK, although Beeb are advertising the last episode as one not to miss. They finished filming in 2020, so it’s possible this is the UK premiere of these last three episodes, might have aired already in Europe/ cable TV. They are a bit different to the last ones we saw.

Every episode is on Iplayer, right from the very first episode.

RedKite replied on 27/06/2022 08:30

Posted on 27/06/2022 08:30

We have friends here who love the programme and on that watching they were going to Sicily March 2020 and course had to cancel due to Covid her OH was really upset about that and have not gone yet as she says not flying anymore, so they will record this last series. Afraid we are not fans watched about 10 minutes and turned over.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/06/2022 23:01

Posted on 27/06/2022 23:01

I have a friend who went to Sicily, she loved it. She found Salvo’s beautiful beach house, I think it’s a holiday let, or it was.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/06/2022 20:31

Posted on 28/06/2022 20:31

Margaret still buys a weekly TV guide and in the latest one they say that this Saturday the final episode will be shown. 

As an aside I have to say that I also enjoyed the Young Montalbano series. It did strike me that there is a bit of a similarity with Endeavour?

David

DavidKlyne replied on 03/07/2022 13:46

Posted on 03/07/2022 13:46

Well, as a last ever episode, I was not convinced it lived up to last episode status? OK it was a complicated story line. I suppose it did settle one thing, Salvo's on off relationship with Livia but perhaps that had been on the cards since episode 1?

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook