Anyone see George Clarke's Amazing Spaces - WW2

ValDa replied on 13/12/2016 22:44

Posted on 13/12/2016 22:44

Did anyone watch George Clarke's Amazing Spaces tonight?  They concentrated on building a caravan, based on a design done by a prisoner of war in a Japanese POW camp in Java.  He was there three and a half year, and produced the most amazing technical drawings of a caravan he intended to build when he got home, to take his wife on holiday.  He survived, but his journal containing the drawings wasn't found until thirty years after he died.

George Clarke and his buddy Will built a caravan to the specifications in the journal - down to the oak unit handles, the leaded glass windows, and even the crockery inside the cupboards.

I thought it was such an interesting programme - and i hope others take time to watch it.

Bakers2 replied on 14/12/2016 13:30

Posted on 14/12/2016 13:30

Doh I wanted to watch that.  I'll do it on catch up.  TOO MANY channels nowadays undecided.  I have been known to set reminder on my phone.  Yes I can set up to record on Tivo, but isn't always convenient.  Thanks for the reminder smile

papgeno replied on 15/12/2016 13:28

Posted on 15/12/2016 13:28

How did I miss that. I've watched all his other programs, although I have to say if you watch a whole series you do see a lot of stuff over and over again. In one series a couple converted an old ambulance to a camper van which slept the whole family plus dog. I seem to remember there were six of them! It's on YouTube now.

Rubytuesday replied on 15/12/2016 23:49

Posted on 15/12/2016 23:49

My son loves this program.  We have only managed to see a little of it   Afraid it's on at a time that's not suitable for us , my son has reminders on for it even on the plus one 1hr later, if he misses the first showing 

SELL replied on 23/12/2016 23:58

Posted on 23/12/2016 23:58

Yes I watched it only change they made was to the height of the caravan to make it road legal. was very interesting,

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook