15 Billion Pound Railway - Crossrail

DavidKlyne replied on 29/05/2017 22:39

Posted on 29/05/2017 22:39

Perhaps a bit late now to mention it (available on catch up) but the second series, and maybe the last, ended tonight. Amazing engineering. Good to see so many youngish people in charge of such works both in the civil engineering and building the trains.

David

brue replied on 30/05/2017 13:55

Posted on 30/05/2017 13:55

I too thought it was an amazing programme showing just about every engineering and planning skill, done brilliantly by so many people. I don't expect Londoners have felt the same with all the disruption but it was really impressive! One of those uplifting programmes which show what can be done by talented teams of all ages, men and women together.smile

IanH replied on 30/05/2017 18:31

Posted on 30/05/2017 18:31

Just shows what can be done with a limitless budget.

brue replied on 30/05/2017 19:54

Posted on 30/05/2017 19:54

see here not limitless but nearly 15 billion... The channel tunnel cost the equivalent of 12 billion... (I've never used it but I've hear a few on here have. smile)

IanH replied on 31/05/2017 20:44

Posted on 31/05/2017 20:44

I worked as a cost consultant for Railtrack (now Network Rail). Some of the things I saw there shocked me.

Budgets for projects were always kept way above what would be considered 'normal'.

Budgets and programmes were continuously revised (increased) throughout the life of projects......so that their management could always claim at the end "on time and within budget".

This was a time when NR were receiving massive taxpayer funding to improve stations and the network on behalf of the private companies running the trains (and making massive profits). 

When we pointed out the massive overspending to NR management, we were told 'We don't care - we have to spend £xxxx million per month and we don't care whether we are getting good value'.

So when I see a project like this, I can admire the engineering, but frankly anyone can deliver big projects when money is no object.

Oneputt replied on 01/06/2017 14:05

Posted on 01/06/2017 14:05

One of the other benefits was the creation of the Wallasea Island reserve.  This in itself is a great achievement.

Excavated material from Crossrail’s tunnels and stations being used to create RSPB nature reserve at Wallasea Island, Essex
1528 shipments have delivered 3 million tonnes of excavated material
Nearly 80% of material transported by rail and water, removing approximately 150,000 lorries from London.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook