Rob Burrow RIP

JillwithaJay replied on 02/06/2024 19:18

Posted on 02/06/2024 19:18

Sad to read that inspirational Rugby League star, Rob Burrow has passed away after a long and courageous battle with motor neurone disease.  Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

moulesy replied on 02/06/2024 19:41

Posted on 02/06/2024 19:41

As a long time Hull KR supporter, Leeds were always one of our bitter rivals. So I never really had a lot of time for Rob as a player.

But no-one can fail to have been moved and full of admiration for the way he faced up to his illness. Along with Kevin Sinfield he probably did more than anyone else to raise awareness of this dreadful illness. The fact that Rob & Kevin were never honoured with knighthoods whilst the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg were speaks volumes about our priorities as a society  (and apologies if that seems inappropriately political.)

The fact that other sportsmen, including Bristol Rovers old boy Marcus Stewart can be so open about their own diagnosis is down to Rob's trail blazing bravery.

He will be very sadly missed and no doubt there will be a chance to pay our respects at next week's Challenge Cup Final.

RIP Rob Burrows.

mickysf replied on 02/06/2024 20:05

Posted on 02/06/2024 20:05

So sad to hear this, both Rob and his family have been inspirational throughout his life and illness. 

Bakers2 replied on 02/06/2024 20:13

Posted on 02/06/2024 20:13

I watched an uncle suffer with this horrendous disease, he died 39 years ago.

RIP Rob Burrows you did so much to raise awareness and funds for research.

His devoted family will now face new challenges and I am thinking of them all. 

Freddy55 replied on 02/06/2024 20:35

Posted on 02/06/2024 20:35

Yes, I was very saddened to hear this news. Such a cruel disease that he faced with outstanding courage. A word for Kevin Sinfield who stood by him, a true friend.

RIP Rob.

Wherenext replied on 02/06/2024 21:08

Posted on 02/06/2024 21:08

Moulesy is spot on with his post.

I've been very taken with the bond that Rob and Kevin reached. Kevin seemed to live the disease with Rob. It's been extremely touching yet fully understandable when viewed from their background, both class wise and professional sports teammates.

A brave fight well fought with a lot of dignity. 

richardandros replied on 03/06/2024 07:24

Posted on 03/06/2024 07:24

Moulesy - not inappropriate at all.  I agree with everything you have said. I think Rob and Kevin - have in the last few years - reminded us all of where our priorities should lie - in so many ways. Rob showed that true grit - right up to the end.  He may have been small - but he was one of this country's great men. R.I.P

Extugger replied on 03/06/2024 19:20

Posted on 03/06/2024 19:20

Moulsey - we have not always agreed with each other, in particular, our codes in rugby! However, your comments above are absolutely, one hundred percent, correct. Well said.

Rob Burrow was an iconic man, both on and off the field. He, together with his friend Kevin Sinfield, have done more to raise awareness of MND and I believe, also raised in excess of £15m for research into this dreadful disease. As someone who has lost a loved one to MND, I have nothing but respect for Rob, Kevin and also Doddy Weir.

Another very sad day.

Extugger replied on 03/06/2024 20:59

Posted on 03/06/2024 20:59

And a very tough watch on BBC tonight.

There certainly was Only One Rob Burrow.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook