Pele

Wherenext replied on 29/12/2022 20:09

Posted on 29/12/2022 20:09

You are not wrong in your description of him Oneputt.

Great indeed. An oft  misused word. 

My first sighting of him in action was being kicked and fouled repeatedly in 1966 World Cup but I was able to fully appreciate him, and that wonderful Brazilian team, in 1970 in Mexico. He and they left an unforgettable impression.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/12/2022 12:14

Posted on 30/12/2022 12:14

You have to think of the era he played in as well. Hard balls, hard men, hard leagues. Apparently he lost a kidney in the 1970’s, attributed to all the punishment meted out during his playing days. A great loss to the sporting World, but what a legacy he leaves.

ABM replied on 30/12/2022 22:04

Posted on 30/12/2022 22:04

Checked on his Physical Data on line today and he stood 5ft 8in tall, but that must be wrong surely.

Pele bestrode the football pitch like any Colossus, ran like a deer, jumped like any Olympic High Hurdler  and, despite the kicks and studdings, he did it all apparently, with that famous smile.

One comment made me smile  from Ferenc Puska :~~ He claimed that Alfredo de Stephano  was the finest footballer ever because Pele played a totally different game to the rest of humanity !!

Rest in Peace, Good Sir and Thank You so many times over !

Amesford replied on 31/12/2022 14:19

Posted on 31/12/2022 14:19

I was lucky enough to watch him play in the friendly game between the Villa and Santos at villa park it was an evening game and during the electric strike in 1972 at which the club generator could only cope with 3 of the 4 lighting towers 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook