Mary Quant

brue replied on 13/04/2023 14:37

Posted on 13/04/2023 14:37

Farewell to one of the most famous fashion designers of the 1960s. Even if we couldn't afford her designs we copied them and made our own, her tailoring and simple designs were great. So was her hair cut, still around today.

I have a tale. With some spare cash as a student I bought an off the peg cheap sales dress designed by Mary Quant. It was made from a cotton jersey fabric, a shift dress, which was a very popular style. The only problem was it was bright yellow with big horizontal red stripes across the top and a plain yellow skirt. It was a bit bright to say the least.

I got on the bus with a fellow student, the dress was folded up in a bag on my knee. My male companion, spotting the dress leaned over and whispered in my ear...why don't you burn it...

Thus ended my one venture into the world of Mary Quant, but I still think she was one of the best. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 13/04/2023 19:28

Posted on 13/04/2023 19:28

A true fashion icon Brue, such distinctive designs. I was too young for the clothes, but her Make Up range was my go to brand (along with Biba) as a teenager. The packaging was so distinctive, black or white with that big daisy. I recall one Christmas I was bought a Mary Quant Overnighter box. A small little case, two tier. It had cleanser, toner, moisturiser, and a bottle of base foundation that was colour corrective. Top layer had eye shadows, blusher, mascara, lip glosses. The make up is long gone, but I do still have the black case, it now houses my nail varnish bottles😁

She designed the interior of a Mini I think as well, special edition.

Edit found a photo of MQ make up. My box was the black one in the middle left of the photo. The tray to the right looks like the top layer of make up inside. I remember “Face Final” as well. Nail varnish bottles were little globes of colour😁

Takethedogalong replied on 13/04/2023 19:48

Posted on 13/04/2023 19:48

This is the one advert that kick started my love of MQ products. Stunningly different, and yes, I did wear it! Look at those nails, anyone could do the French nail tips, but it took MQ to focus on the half moons of the nails to look different. We used to cut out tiny bits of sellotape to use as guides, bit like masking tapes. At my 5th year careers interview, it was a toss up between Teaching and becoming a beautician, sport and PE won, but I still like make up😁

brue replied on 14/04/2023 08:42

Posted on 14/04/2023 08:42

Mary Quant achieved a lot with her work ethic and creative spirit. Thanks TDA it's good to be reminded of her contributions to Uk Ltd . smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook