Hilary Mantel

Takethedogalong replied on 23/09/2022 20:45

Posted on 23/09/2022 20:45

Very sad news tonight about Hilary Mantel passing away, only 70 years old as well. Her trilogy of books on the life of Thomas Cromwell were so different, and wonderfully researched and written. She was ill for a good bit of her life, hence the long gap between the second and third Wolf Hall books. RIP.

Bakers2 replied on 23/09/2022 20:53

Posted on 23/09/2022 20:53

Yes very sad and unexpected. Certainly knew her subject for Wolf Hall.

RIP

nelliethehooker replied on 23/09/2022 21:50

Posted on 23/09/2022 21:50

Hi thoroughly enjoyed the Cromwell trilogy, but not read anything else by her but will endeavour to do so. A great writer.

RIP Hilary. 

Takethedogalong replied on 24/09/2022 17:01

Posted on 24/09/2022 17:01

I think she managed to bring to life someone long considered a bit of a villain, and gave those of us who enjoy history a bit more padding around a very important Tudor era politician. A blend of closely researched historical fact, with a degree of believable fiction in terms of the man himself, and some of the other larger than life names from history.

Cromwell should rank highly in terms of how our nation ultimately evolved, but his time in a position of power was ultimately very short compared with others of the era. Both Booker Prizes thoroughly deserved, and the last book in the trilogy is no less gripping.

I might try the Margaret Thatcher one next.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/09/2022 17:25

Posted on 25/09/2022 17:25

Have you read “The Sunne in Splendour” Nellie? Retelling of the Edward IV and Richard III story. Not Hilary Mantel by any means, but I enjoyed it. Author is Sharon Penman, who I think might be an American author.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/09/2022 20:31

Posted on 25/09/2022 17:25 by Takethedogalong

Have you read “The Sunne in Splendour” Nellie? Retelling of the Edward IV and Richard III story. Not Hilary Mantel by any means, but I enjoyed it. Author is Sharon Penman, who I think might be an American author.

Posted on 25/09/2022 20:31

Not read that, but will look out for it, thanks for heads up.👍

Have just seen that there are a couple of other novels with a similar title, The Sun in Splendour, both the final one in the Plantagenet series by Jean Plaidy and Juliet Dymoke.

brue replied on 29/09/2022 15:50

Posted on 29/09/2022 15:50

I'm just reading her autobiography "Giving up the Ghost." It begins in more recent times in Norfolk and then drifts back gently to her childhood. It's beautifully written with great detail. 

brue replied on 30/09/2022 12:38

Posted on 30/09/2022 12:38

I read the book in just over a day, it was quite a piercing book, in fact I had to skim over some bits as I couldn't bear to read them! Maybe it was good that she wrote about herself as these are often quite dark memories, I don't know what another writer would make of her life, she misses out certain things, it's like a long essay and of course it's very personal but it hits the mark, it's her and no-one else can be her! By the way if you're a Heather or a Garry she wasn't keen on those names, there are sparks of unintentional humour. RIP Hilary Mantel or Llary as she was known to friends and family. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook