No Room at the Inn (or anywhere)

DavidKlyne replied on 22/12/2019 12:05

Posted on 22/12/2019 12:05

Just a thought for all those people who have no where permanent to live and are often living on the streets. Many charities both local and nationally will be trying to help these people over the Festive period. Not only will they provide food and shelter but they will also try and support them in other ways to try and help them find a way out of their predicament. This is an all year problem but I suppose it comes into sharper focus at this time of the year. For many years I have supported Crisis (formally Crisis at Christmas) not only because I like what they do but also to support of a colleague who used to volunteer to help. There are many ways people can help and probably the most basic is the offer a coin to the local Sally Ann collection often found in your local shopping centre at this time of year, it all helps.

David

JillwithaJay replied on 22/12/2019 13:48

Posted on 22/12/2019 13:48

I tend to donate my time and/or talents most of the year by knitting for homeless/soldiers/sailors/women's refuge/premmie babies but always drop a monetary gift in the Sally Army tin at Christmas rather than agree to regular direct debit donations.

Merry Christmas to all, however you spend it.

Oneputt replied on 22/12/2019 14:02

Posted on 22/12/2019 14:02

We make up shoe boxes full of gifts for the Sally Army, boxes contain useful stuff like soap, toothbrushes etc but also small gifts.  At our district scout carol service all the children take toys they no longer use and donate them to the Sally Army.

One of my nieces is going to serve Christmas dinner to the homeless on Christmas Day 

Cornersteady replied on 22/12/2019 16:05

Posted on 22/12/2019 16:05

I was twice in Northumberland street in Newcastle recently over the Christmas build up, (that's one of the main streets with the famous Christmas shop display) and it was full of shoppers laden with their bags.

There was  three homeless men in their sleeping bags. I tried but I couldn't imagine what they must be feeling and thinking looking around them. I read somewhere that on of the worse things (and there must be many) is that they get ignored and go without any conversation or contact. I actually rarely have cash on me nowadays so I bought a Gregg's bacon roll and hot drink for each of them and had a little chat with all them all. I just don't realise how lucky I am I suppose.

How there are people who have to sleep rough in 2019 is beyond me, I wouldn't mind some sort of scheme that took an extra few pounds out of my income just for them.

Cornersteady replied on 22/12/2019 16:07

Posted on 22/12/2019 14:02 by Oneputt

We make up shoe boxes full of gifts for the Sally Army, boxes contain useful stuff like soap, toothbrushes etc but also small gifts.  At our district scout carol service all the children take toys they no longer use and donate them to the Sally Army.

One of my nieces is going to serve Christmas dinner to the homeless on Christmas Day 

Posted on 22/12/2019 16:07

well done to her Oneputt, that is true charity. Giving up money is one thing but sometimes to give up one's time is far far harder, especially on Christmas day. 

Wherenext replied on 24/12/2019 15:48

Posted on 22/12/2019 16:05 by Cornersteady

I was twice in Northumberland street in Newcastle recently over the Christmas build up, (that's one of the main streets with the famous Christmas shop display) and it was full of shoppers laden with their bags.

There was  three homeless men in their sleeping bags. I tried but I couldn't imagine what they must be feeling and thinking looking around them. I read somewhere that on of the worse things (and there must be many) is that they get ignored and go without any conversation or contact. I actually rarely have cash on me nowadays so I bought a Gregg's bacon roll and hot drink for each of them and had a little chat with all them all. I just don't realise how lucky I am I suppose.

How there are people who have to sleep rough in 2019 is beyond me, I wouldn't mind some sort of scheme that took an extra few pounds out of my income just for them.

Posted on 24/12/2019 15:48

You have my respect. Well done.👍

cyberyacht replied on 26/12/2019 21:09

Posted on 26/12/2019 21:09

Spoke to a couple of rough sleepers outside the Brompton Oratory yesterday and told them of a freebie hot lunch being laid on by Holy Trinity Brompton( my daughter's church) around the corner. They didn't seem that fussed. Sometimes you can't help people.

replied on 26/12/2019 21:52

Posted on 26/12/2019 21:52

When I was at my youngest daughter's on 20th Dec she had received a charity hamper, totally unexpected. Looking at the very useful contents they must have been valued at over £30. She is a low income single mum with two kiddies. 

She had reboxed them into two hampers and added a few things to give to two families that she knows are struggling. Given her own circumstances I thought that very kind.

huskydog replied on 30/12/2019 09:37

Posted on 30/12/2019 09:37

The problem is now that xmas is over ,the vast majority of people will forget about the homeless and get on with their normal lives 

DavidKlyne replied on 30/12/2019 10:25

Posted on 30/12/2019 09:37 by huskydog

The problem is now that xmas is over ,the vast majority of people will forget about the homeless and get on with their normal lives 

Posted on 30/12/2019 10:25

I think a lot of charities raise quite a bit of money at this time of year which helps cushion their funds so they can carry on their work through the year.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook