The price of caravans

terry russell replied on 24/06/2022 07:33

Posted on 24/06/2022 07:33

OMG, what on earth is happening, fuel prices are through the roof ( greedy petrol stations ), so because of the situation people are not away as they were many years ago.

The wife and I are without a caravan ( 1st time in 29 years), as much as I want to buy a new unit I won’t, quite simply money, why are caravan dealers trying to sell 7/8 year old vans for more than they cost new.

I have noticed that people are now not prepared to pay the prices ( vans on the web NOT selling ).

I did however watch a van that was on an auction site not reaching the reserve price by £5000, well done the great British public, if we ALL STOP BUYING VANS then maybe just maybe the prices will come down.

I do hope this will happen because what was an affordable weekend away will now be a mortgage.

So stop rubbing your hands together caravan dealers and let the British public get out have fun and meet new people.

T

Moderator Comment - Moved to the discussion area

Cornersteady replied on 29/06/2022 16:51

Posted on 29/06/2022 16:51

Just as some second hand cars are selling for me than new ones. It's supply and demand, you can have a second hand one now or wait till December for a new one? 

Agree with Brue, can it moved?

Tinwheeler replied on 29/06/2022 16:57

Posted on 29/06/2022 16:57

It’s not just caravans. Have you checked the prices of second hand cars and motorhomes? I think it’s a matter of supply and demand.

As for greedy petrol stations, did you not see the breakdown of prices on the news recently? Only 2-3% of the pump price goes to the retailer, another 2-3% is the transport cost, just over 50% is the actual cost of the fuel while around 45% is Govt tax in one form or another. Who’s being greedy?😟

Edit: sorry Corners, cross posted. Great minds, eh!

Whittakerr replied on 29/06/2022 17:13

Posted on 29/06/2022 17:13

I recently took delivery of a new caravan i ordered last September. I am very happy with the caravan and the price i paid for it.

eribaMotters replied on 05/07/2022 21:31

Posted on 05/07/2022 21:31

Currently talking to dealers in NL who expect new prices for 2023 to be 5-10% higher than present. This is echoed in UK dealer expectations.

This obviously has a knock on effect with 2nd hand values. You are looking at the results of a perfect storm in war in Ukraine and Covid on top of Brexit.

If you ordered a new van now you are also looking at collection 2023, in some case 2024, so prices will be distorted and I would expect this to be the case for a good few years. 

If you have you foot on the ladder in that you are already in caravan ownership it will hit you less, but you have obviously previously sold and I'm guessing at a decent price.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook