Battery charger not working please help

SunSeekingNomad replied on 30/07/2022 17:26

Posted on 30/07/2022 17:26

Hello everyone. Looking for help to all the caravan veterans here. There was a power cut at the caravan site . When the electric was restored i noticed that my 12 volt accessories stopped working. The water pump work but no water is drawn in to the taps. I looked at all the fuses and they seem okay. It appears my battery charger is not working , any advise on what else to check or help diagnose the problem. I have a 2009 Eccles Moonstone.

Thanks in advance

Moderator Comment - Please post questions in the discussion are, not in Stories, thanks

commeyras replied on 30/07/2022 19:12

Posted on 30/07/2022 19:12

Are you sure your charger is shot ?  Have you checked the circuit breakers in your caravan?  If all was ok before the power cut and then when power was restored you had no 12v except the pump working but not drawing water this does not necessarily mean charger shot because you should still get power from the battery to say the lights; unless the battery is totally shot.  Assuming you have a voltage reader on your control panel does it go up to 13v + when plugged into mains; indeed does it change at all when plugged? A multimeter across the battery terminals would be better because you get a reading before any fuses.  If it does show a higher reading then charger is ok.   Have you checked the fuse from the battery?  Mine is located inside by the battery box.  If pump working but no water sounds like an air lock; take pump out of water and disconnect from caravan, re connect putting pump into water first and jiggle it about a bit. More I think about it does not sound like the charger is gone and that a fuse is the culprit.  Is there not an experienced caravanner on site nearby who can help.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook