York Rowntree Park evacuated

clarinetman replied on 17/11/2022 18:04

Posted on 17/11/2022 18:04

Hi just been told to evacuate York Rowntree site due to potential flooding, all in incomers being turned away, Told at 12noon to leave the site by 2pm.

Always feel a bit sorry for the wardens they seem to have to do everything from contacting people who are on site but out to people arriving in the next few days, as well ensuring safety of the members. I have written before to the club about this aspect of the wardens job with a suggestion of an Emergency team at head office to undertake the contacting members due in the future days or weeks this would leave the site wardens to sort the immediate dangers and site restoration.

.The team could also organise refunds being as the club has elected to take deposites, this will be interesting for us members who have had to leave the site quite necessarily with a view to any refunds, perhaps it will be transferred back on to my card at 2am in the morning.

MotorHomer2 replied on 17/11/2022 18:25

Posted on 17/11/2022 18:25

We were due to arrive at Rowntree Park today. Had a call from head office at approx 12:30 whilst stiing at Monks Cross as were a little early having only travelled from a site near Pickering. The lady was very courteous and very apologetic. Maybe they have taken your suggestions on board.

Bakers2 replied on 17/11/2022 18:25

Posted on 17/11/2022 18:25

Hope you and others on site are safely off and settled somewhere.

Poor wardens, didn't realise they were expected to do everything you list. Enough stress keeping those and themselves on site safe without piling on extra.....

Hope the refunds are sorted quickly. 

brue replied on 17/11/2022 19:01

Posted on 17/11/2022 19:01

Sorry to hear that, we've had it happen to us as we travelled to Tewkesbury and no-one managed to contact us luckily we heard on the news there were problems! I don't know what the solution is although I know both clubs have emergency out of hours contacts.

TimboC replied on 17/11/2022 19:15

Posted on 17/11/2022 19:15

I've always found that the wardens on Club sites raise their game when things like this happen. We were at Grafham once when a caravan that was leaving had an electrical fire. The response from the wardens was instant. Very reassuring to witness

JVB66 replied on 17/11/2022 19:17

Posted on 17/11/2022 19:17

Maybe as the site staff  across the network are now managers and assistant managers,more responsibilities have been cascaded to site from EGH? surprised

Tinwheeler replied on 17/11/2022 21:34

Posted on 17/11/2022 21:34

What a good idea to create an emergency team, Clarinetman. 👏🏻

They could deal with contacting members in any unexpected situation such as loss of power or hot water to a site. We've heard folk say they’ve turned up at a site not knowing the facility block had no hot water. An emergency team could do much to alert people.

Martatin replied on 18/11/2022 13:30

Posted on 18/11/2022 13:30

Just had phone call from Head office cancelling my booking for Sunday due to flood risk. Seems they've drafted staff in from other departments to ring and let people know. Information actually buried on website under before you travel. 

DavidKlyne replied on 18/11/2022 15:54

Posted on 18/11/2022 13:30 by Martatin

Just had phone call from Head office cancelling my booking for Sunday due to flood risk. Seems they've drafted staff in from other departments to ring and let people know. Information actually buried on website under before you travel. 

Posted on 18/11/2022 15:54

Just out of interest, did they offer you any alternative site? 

David

Takethedogalong replied on 18/11/2022 16:07

Posted on 18/11/2022 16:07

As far as I am aware, the webpages for both YRP and Tewkesbury carries a warning around periodic flooding at both sites, all of the time. Both places, let alone Sites flood every year at some point. So it pays every Member intending to visit to raise their awareness that a problem could occur very quickly. Staff are usually well versed in how to proceed, make things safe and after the event get things back up and running as quickly as possible. Club pro actively built refurbished facility blocks above the highest flood levels some years ago.

Given the rain that’s come down in Yorkshire these last two days, it’s no surprise York is flooding. Most of Yorkshire’s big rivers end up in the Ouse.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook