Why is Hawes Club site shown as Full Oct to Dec ?

Spriddler replied on 12/08/2021 16:30

Posted on 12/08/2021 16:30

I've stopped the occasional night or two at CLs after booking by phone but for the first time in 20+ years I've decided to try a 'proper' tour in the U.K. as opposed to 'over there' and been trying to review Club owned sites to make a plan, but I've given up in utter frustration.

Not only is the booking system glacially slow and almost unusable (does the club give priority to bookings by carrier pigeon?) but, for example, the Hawes CC site is shown as fully booked for Oct, Nov and Dec and yet the page says it's open until 6th Jan '22.

(It's not my computer or my broadband that's slow but just this website).

SteveL replied on 12/08/2021 17:34

Posted on 12/08/2021 17:34

Does seem a bit odd. Clumber is shown the same but that is being refurbished. Hawes was only done in 2017, so seems a bit unlikely they will be doing it again. Your right about the site pages, they are glacial. Even worse than CT😂 and that’s unusual. It was down for maintenance first thing this morning, I foresee another bout tonight.

Spriddler replied on 12/08/2021 20:14

Posted on 12/08/2021 20:14

I could make enquiries Tinwheeler but at the moment I CBA'd as I'm still trying to work up the motivation to have another go at the treacle booking system. I think I'll stay with CLs as even though I have to phone it's still more fit for purpose than the club site booking system.

It does seem odd SteveL because if it's shut for whatever reason it only needs a note on the page or a change to the closing date.

I do a fair bit of booking on other websites which put this one to shame. One would think that after 115 years the club's administrative and I.T. staff would have learned how important it is to keep customers informed. After all, it doesn't need a Zuckerberg to change a date on a website rather that just display 'Tough luck, It's full' with yellow squares.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/08/2021 20:28

Posted on 12/08/2021 20:28

I have just checked the Hawes site and there is availability for October through to December for a standard pitch with awning. I suspect what is happening is the when you click on the next moth it automatically shows fully booked until it refreshes.  As frustrating as it is stick with it and you should be able to get your booking.

David

SteveL replied on 12/08/2021 21:30

Posted on 12/08/2021 20:28 by DavidKlyne

I have just checked the Hawes site and there is availability for October through to December for a standard pitch with awning. I suspect what is happening is the when you click on the next moth it automatically shows fully booked until it refreshes.  As frustrating as it is stick with it and you should be able to get your booking.

David

Posted on 12/08/2021 21:30

That seems to be the case David, although it took a full minute to refresh when I moved from September to October. Those sorts of speed are clearly not acceptable and need urgently sorting.

Spriddler replied on 12/08/2021 21:42

Posted on 12/08/2021 21:42

Thanks David. I've just tried that and as you rightly said, it does refresh, eventually.

It took 43 seconds. I never expected that as I'm used to professional commercial sites that refresh in 3 or 4 seconds.

Once one is aware of that fault then one can also refresh by making a brew to pass the time. It's just about bearable if you're only booking one site but far too long when browsing 'What ifs'  entailing viewing several sites when putting a trip together. I'm not sure I can be bothered with it but thanks for the enlightenment.

SteveL replied on 13/08/2021 07:49

Posted on 13/08/2021 07:49

Well not much has improved. It’s still taking up to a minute to cycle between sites and get availability to page forward. Surely it can’t be the numbers on the site at this time in the morning. If it is why hasn’t the queue cut in? The club aren’t going to sell many pitches unless they can speed things up a bit.🤔

JVB66 replied on 13/08/2021 08:04

Posted on 13/08/2021 08:04

It does seem that every time "essential maintainance  is carried out on the website it causes more problems in another areaundecided

dunernin replied on 13/08/2021 11:57

Posted on 13/08/2021 11:57

I am trying to make some site bookings for September and  getting absolutely no where. The website is so painfully slow. Think I'll switch to Pitchup!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook