Volvo Sat Nav

Anne3John53 replied on 09/12/2022 19:16

Posted on 09/12/2022 19:16

Does anyone know of a system which can be INSTALLED on a Volvo XC40 (2021) which will not only exactly pinpoint the destination but also follow THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS given by the Caravan Club on behalf of the sites with regard to the safest route to follow on approaching the site?  

Tinwheeler replied on 09/12/2022 20:11

Posted on 09/12/2022 20:11

I do not believe any sat Nav will follow CAMC’s specific instructions, not even the Avtex Tourer, because sat navs follow specifics such as postcodes or GPS coordinates and not written words.

I'm not sure what you mean by "installed".🤔

(Btw, use of capitals is the equivalent of shouting on a forum - see the guidelines/T&Cs👍🏻)

eurortraveller replied on 09/12/2022 20:25

Posted on 09/12/2022 19:16 by Anne3John53

Does anyone know of a system which can be INSTALLED on a Volvo XC40 (2021) which will not only exactly pinpoint the destination but also follow THE SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS given by the Caravan Club on behalf of the sites with regard to the safest route to follow on approaching the site?  

Posted on 09/12/2022 20:25

Anne and John, Do you need that detail of satnav? You will get to a Club site if one of you calls out the written instructions and the driver does as he or she is told.. 

nelliethehooker replied on 09/12/2022 20:25

Posted on 09/12/2022 20:25

The best Sat Nav is the one sat next to the driver with a good quality road or OS map and a copy of the club's Site Directory, open on the page for the site you are heading to.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2022 20:41

Posted on 09/12/2022 20:41

My current car and my motorhome both have built in TomTom sat navs. The car is not a problem as it can virtually go anywhere but the one in the motorhome can lead us down some narrow roads. My previous standalone TomTom sat nav with the Camper Maps installed was very reliable, especially with the Club sites POI's installed. The problem seems to be that anything built in can't have additional POI's loaded. There are several systems that can be loaded onto tablets (or even phones) that might give a bit more control.

David

Putt Family replied on 09/12/2022 20:47

Posted on 09/12/2022 20:47

We have used a few sat navs over the years, Tomtom, Garmin Caravan model of sat nav and now one in our F Pace.

None of them really work in terms of following the Clubs recomendations even with the settings to caravan roads.

The only way I could guarantee the correct route was to study Google maps and do a dry run following the Clubs preferred route with Google, then before a trip make an itinerary file on the Tom Tom or Garmin equivelent using GPS details from Google and then save the itinerary file, this worked really well but was a bit of a faff, depends how patient you are and how much spare time you have.

With the F pace do the same kind of thing but not found a way of saving a route, so we tend to start a route add waypoints working backwards away from the destination by hand.

Maybe I am over the top but I do like to arrive stress free, was away at Cofton in Devon once and a family car & van tried to get into the site using the back lane, possible but not ideal the poor chap had been on the road for about 10 hours and then came unstuck on the last couple of miles great way to start your hols.

Wonder if you Volvo can set waypoints ? worth a try maybe.

KjellNN replied on 09/12/2022 22:26

Posted on 09/12/2022 22:26

When going to a new to us site, I look it up on Google earth, then put the co-ordinates into my sat nav to see what it proposes.

Then OH reads out any specific instructions given in the sites book or on line ( we are mainly using CLs) to see if they agree.

If not, I alter the sat nav route to follow the recommended route.

On the day, OH has the sites book open at the page in case there is any doubt.

SteveL replied on 09/12/2022 23:06

Posted on 09/12/2022 23:06

I always put the lat / long into the sat nav on our MH and zoom in to see how the approach compares to the clubs directions. If there are any differences I put in a waypoint or two so that it forces it to follow the club directions, then save the route. OH can then relax on the final approach, as no map / direction reading is required. I should add I also check key points on street-view.  Makes for a stress free approach.

JimE replied on 10/12/2022 09:42

Posted on 10/12/2022 09:42

We have an XC60 and find it very easy to program the satnav to follow a route exactly.

Use google maps on your computer/phone to display the CAMC site you are visiting and at each junction mentioned in the site approach instructions, locate the point on google maps.  With your cursor, right click to display the "what's here" info and note down the decimal lat/long co-ordinates.  Program those co-ordinates into your satnav as a waypoint, repeating for as many stages as required. 

You should now have an itinerary which follows the CAMC approach route exactly.

Hope this helps.

Lyke Wake Man replied on 10/12/2022 09:56

Posted on 10/12/2022 09:56

if you are towing you DON'T want any car built in sat nav, as they will pick a route for just a car, you need a sat nav that can pick a route for towing

SteveL replied on 10/12/2022 10:01

Posted on 10/12/2022 10:01

The sat navs I have used allow Way points to be inserted by touching or putting a cursor on the position you want on screen, you can then rearrange them if necessary in the route list. If there are many to put in, it’s much quicker than doing it with co ordinates 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook