Unruly travellers on site

skodaman replied on 25/07/2022 20:54

Posted on 25/07/2022 20:54

Has Alderstead heath site near Redhill got a problem with the traveller community as we are booked in for a week in early September

Comment from Community Manager

As an inclusive organisation, and bearing in mind the law on these matters, the Club do not discriminate against any particular individuals or groups and membership is open to all. With the size of membership that we enjoy, which helps fund the facilities everyone benefits from, diversity across our membership is inevitable. Any unwelcome behaviour from members or guests is always handled appropriately and where necessary, suitable follow up action is taken. 

If you have any concerns about an upcoming stay please feel free to contact the campsite directly or the Club. Many thanks and we hope you have a wonderful holiday. 

DavidKlyne replied on 25/07/2022 22:24

Posted on 25/07/2022 22:24

I have seen reviews of travellers on that site and others, Black Horse Farm was another. What you have to be a little bit careful of is assuming that it happens all the time which clearly it doesn't. Reviews and posts on Social Media are just short snapshots in time. We know it happens but not how frequently. When we travelled in France it was not unusual to have Travellers share municipal sites with you.

David

allanandjean replied on 25/07/2022 22:53

Posted on 25/07/2022 22:53

During a visit to Alderstead Heath travellers occupied the late arrivals car park-that’s the bad news.

However this was app 10 years ago and during our many stays it happened just the once and was sorted quickly.

No, I wouldn’t want it again but, as a comparison, we all know what a pain Dover can be but still thousands travel via there.

JollyKernow replied on 25/07/2022 23:11

Posted on 25/07/2022 23:11

Evening

My T's & C's of employment go into great detail about discrimination. With that in mind and having experienced a very diverse membership in my 13 years with the club (long may it continue) I think peoples perception of the "travelling community" are slightly blinkered. We have many paid up members from that community that just use our sites like we all do with no real issues. There's always the exception but that could be said of any member having an off day .

Don't get mixed up with outfits turning up en mass of an evening unannounced and making an unwelcome camp and causing distress. I've also had that experience which I hope to never repeat.

JK

Charlotte replied on 06/08/2022 11:36

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:36

Hi, we were due to stay here for in July and cancelled because of the issues you are concerned about. The site we went to instead was managed by a Warden who used to look after Alderstead and he confirmed just how much of a problem it is but obviously having to keep to the strict CAMC rules on inclusion/diversity. His personal opinion (when not in uniform) was to possibly consider somewhere else from April to October. I know it’s a big site but it’s never full and you can even get serviced pitches at short notice so that in itself says something in my opinion. Please note that I am very tolerant of all but I’m very careful of whom I want spend my hard earned holiday away from work with.

JVB66 replied on 06/08/2022 11:44

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:44

We stayed at Alderstead heath site last year and encountered the same problems as most other reviews and left early 

I had always wanted to to Chartwell which after our visit and the great helpful staff there , we went home instead of our booked stay

Tinwheeler replied on 06/08/2022 14:22

Posted on 06/08/2022 13:41 by wedgy
Content has been removed.

Posted on 06/08/2022 14:22

I think you’re forgetting there’s a strong element of law in the discrimination terms, Wedgy.

Also to be "woke" is to be anti discrimination, mainly anti racism, so to knock woke is to admit to favouring racism, ageism, sexism etc - not a good place to be.

wedgy replied on 06/08/2022 15:19

Posted on 06/08/2022 15:19

I must change my prescription and purchase some of your rose tinted spectacles, as for The Law we all know what animal is representative of that.

Personally I am not anti any of the isms mentioned however things have gone to the extreme with tiny minority groups now having the upper hand and dictating to the majority.

I for one would not venture anywhere near the Travelling Community and in my experience the feeling is mutual.

eurortraveller replied on 06/08/2022 16:25

Posted on 06/08/2022 16:25

What exactly is the problem? I have shared several campsites in France with British / Irish “travellers” and  with French market traders and with immigrant itinerant grape and fruit pickers  - and  there were no problems. 

JVB66 replied on 06/08/2022 16:46

Posted on 06/08/2022 16:25 by eurortraveller

What exactly is the problem? I have shared several campsites in France with British / Irish “travellers” and  with French market traders and with immigrant itinerant grape and fruit pickers  - and  there were no problems. 

Posted on 06/08/2022 16:46

There is one big difference between France and the UK it is called respect for the law enforcement agencies,in the way they worksurprised

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook