TV reception in the Lake District

brissle replied on 17/08/2022 10:34

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:34

OK, OK, I know we shouldn't be hooked on technology whilst on holiday, but with darker evenings we do enjoy watching a little TV.  And we need WiFi for keeping in touch with family and for virtually all our business affairs.

I realise that in remote areas WiFi and TV signals can be difficult.

We've looked at 2 Club sites (Coniston Park and Troutbeck) in the Lake District and both state "poor TV reception".  What does that mean?  is a booster system available?  Or can we just get TV with a poor picture?  

Troutbeck doesn't have a symbol for WiFi.  Is thast just an error?  I thought all Club sites now have good WiFi?

Wed be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

JaRT replied on 17/08/2022 10:41

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:34 by brissle

OK, OK, I know we shouldn't be hooked on technology whilst on holiday, but with darker evenings we do enjoy watching a little TV.  And we need WiFi for keeping in touch with family and for virtually all our business affairs.

We've looked at 2 Club sites (Coniston Park and Troutbeck) in the Lake District and both state "poor TV reception".  What does that mean?  is a booster system available?  Or can we just get TV with a poor picture?  

Troutbeck doesn't have a symbol for WiFi.  Is thast just an error?  I thought all Club sites now have good WiFi?

Thanks

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:41

I don't think the comments about TV reception have been updated since the advent of digital TV. We often find that when a site (or indeed CL) is noted as having poor TV reception that nowadays it is actually fine.

Though note that digital TV does seem more susceptible to the effects of excess heat. Freeview have been reporting recently that people may experience poor reception during recent heat peaks. People where we live have certainly been reporting problems.

(We haven't but then we have Freesat at home.)

PS - You wont get a a 'poor' picture with Digital TV, it tends to be all or nothing. If the strength and/or quality are not good you may still get a picture of sorts but it is usually unwatchable as it will constantly break up into large pixelated blocks along with the sound dipping in and out.

Cornersteady replied on 17/08/2022 10:53

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:53

There is no wifi at Troutbeck Head, and even a mobile signal can be poor on certain parts of the sites.

(Sorry I've no idea about tv as we don't have one) 

brue replied on 17/08/2022 12:49

Posted on 17/08/2022 12:49

We've stayed at Coniston but I couldn't remember the TV details but if you look on the site plan and details it says there's an RV ring system in use so you'll need an aerial cable to connect. It's a big wooded site and I would imagine some parts are better than others to pick up other signals. We enjoyed our stay there, we don't mind woods and natural surroundings, the site managers were helpful with suggestions on pitching areas. If you're concerned about communications why not give the site a call for advice? 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/08/2022 13:42

Posted on 17/08/2022 10:34 by brissle

Thanks

Posted on 17/08/2022 13:42

According to the site details (you need to look on the Site Plan .PDF) both sites have a TV booster system, all you need is a 25 metre co-ax cable - sometimes sold on site.

David

Coniston:-

TV reception
The site has an RV ring aerial for which a 25m TV
lead is required. These can be purchased in the
site shop.

Troutbeck:-

TV Reception
TV reception is poor but a booster system is
available.

Tinwheeler replied on 17/08/2022 13:46

Posted on 17/08/2022 13:46

"I thought all Club sites now have good WiFi?"

Most sites have wifi but, in my experience, it’s far from good.

Cornersteady replied on 18/08/2022 16:21

Posted on 18/08/2022 13:48 by brissle

OK, thanks for the information.

Posted on 18/08/2022 16:21

Thanks for posting back, the two sites are very different, TB open and great views from most of the site and fairly flat while Coniston is mainly all tress and on a slope down to the lake though pitches are mainly flat, Post back if you want further details.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 18/08/2022 16:31

Posted on 18/08/2022 16:31

We have stayed on both sites ....

Coniston.  Yes poor reception but we were lucky and we got a signal for the main 4 channels.

Troutbeck.  No signal and this we knew before going there.  The mobile signal at the rear left hand side of the site (on the top of the bank) was not as bad as other places so you may be able to use if you travel with a fire stick or similar.

Both sites are well placed for all the normal touristy things and am sure you will have a good time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook