Towing a caravan on the NC500

Liney101 replied on 23/12/2020 13:50

Posted on 23/12/2020 13:50

Hello.

I'm sure it has been discussed before, but next year (2021) my Dad is desperate to do the NC500 before he is too old. He has towed caravans for 40+ years.  We will accompany him with our own caravan and have towed for 10+ years, however I am worried that roads in the north west corner of route are extremely narrow, with passing points and rely on good reversing skills and nerves of steel!

Has anyone done the journey with a caravan and what advice would you give us? 

I am also thinking would stopping at the Kinlochewe site for 3-4 days and driving the route by car be a realistic and sensible alternative, and likewise then travelling up to Dunnet Bay site, via Bora site?  We would aim to start/end at Inverness as we have towed up the A9 before and that is a decent road.  The other thought is to hire a motorhome, but narrow roads and a vehicle you are not familiar with could be a baptism of fire.

We are looking to go mid-June after A'level exams and before results and uni.

Thank you.

Longtimecaravanner replied on 27/12/2020 12:55

Posted on 26/12/2020 09:35 by Longtimecaravanner

I have half heartedly been thinking about the west coast this spring [I am half hearted about any caravanning planning at the moment] and looking at Bing for the route it shows up the coast via the A832 and A835 or the longer route via the A832 and A838. Would I be right in thinking that the longer route is the easier drive?

Posted on 27/12/2020 12:55

Thanks Brue. I should have said I am thinking of staying at Gairloch and Scourie.

brue replied on 27/12/2020 15:46

Posted on 27/12/2020 15:46

We were near Gairloch, over a year ago now, and used the Kinlochewe route. So I expect it then depends on which place you are heading for first.smile 

Liney101 replied on 29/12/2020 12:20

Posted on 29/12/2020 12:20

Thank you everyone for your advice, all really useful.

We have come up with a plan, where we will stay on a private site in Ullapool for 4 days, and travel the west side of the route (and elsewhere because why should you stick to a prescribed route!) in one car, then move and use the CMC site at Brora, again as a base for 4 days.  We have also planned stops on the way up and back (We've stayed at Culloden Moor site a few years ago so are aware of how long it takes to travel to Inverness from home)

harryb pointed out about the short length of the passing places on the route and that was a concern of mine about towing two caravans, although we would have planned to leave a 5 minute gap between the cars out of consideration for others. The new plan removes that stress! Also in reply to ABM, my father is in his mid 70's. There will be 3 adults that can tow, and I'm insured on my father’s car so whenever we go away together I make sure I share the towing for both outfits, especially the post lunch drive when my Dad likes to have a snooze.  He is happy to caravan on his own, and will be taking a leisurely, multi-stop drive up there and back.

Unfortunately we are restricted by taking the maximum annual leave permitted so can’t take our time (2 weeks) and we can’t go away until the youngest does his A'levels, so yes, it will be prime midge season..... Smidge will be needed in vast quantities.  I'm happy I have a plan and can help my Dad fulfil his dream, let's hope the weather is kind too.

Liney101 replied on 29/12/2020 12:25

Posted on 27/12/2020 10:53 by brue

The A838 isn't a coastal route, it cuts across and I think you'll find it's a more narrow road.

The longer route gives access to lots of smaller coastal places.

Regarding a tour and where to stop (the OP's post) I think a few base stops with a caravan is easier and then drive out wherever the weather and whim takes you. Join in with the locals too, there are some nice community events and gatherings, if you see a market in a village hall, give it a go! 

It will be great if those of us who like travelling north can do so in 2021, happy travels everyone!

(I'm just looking at the weather in our old highland home, heavy snow just now, I remember it well! )

Posted on 29/12/2020 12:25

This the option we are going with, set up a base and explore from there which is what caravanning is more suited to.  It also allows us the freedom to go elsewhere too.  

Fingers crossed we can do the trip in 2021.

Fisherman replied on 29/12/2020 13:37

Posted on 29/12/2020 13:37

Go to an outdoor/fishing shop and buy Midge Nets/hats.  Much better than the sprays. Also some latex gloves and you will be OK> This from someone who has fished that area for 50+ years.

Liney101 replied on 06/10/2021 16:54

Posted on 06/10/2021 16:54

We did this trip in June, had amazing weather (only a couple of rainy/dull days which does mean no midges....) and saw some beautiful sights.  Using the caravan as a base gave us much better flexibility to drive everywhere with the car. We travelled all bar 30 miles of the "route" but visited many other areas too. We were fortunate as the roads were not massively busy as people "report" they were later in the summer and the locals were lovely.

The midges were out but we had nets and spray, plus one person managed to pick up a tick, so tick removing devices are a must (I took a kit with 3 different sizes)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook