Touring Scotland

Coach Man replied on 21/04/2022 20:42

Posted on 21/04/2022 20:42

We are planning a tour of Scotland in June with our Coachman Pastiche 520/4 caravan. At the moment the itinerary is:

1. The Woods - Stirling
  2. Bunree - Fort William
  3. Camping & Caravanning Club site on Skye at Loch Greshnish
  4. Culloden Moor
  5. Balbirnie
  6. Melrose Park

Thoughts on the sites and the routes to these sites would be appreciated. Any info on towing on the roads on Skye?  

Tinwheeler replied on 21/04/2022 21:13

Posted on 21/04/2022 21:13

You’ll be fine if you stick to major roads but avoid the A82 alongside Loch Lomond if towing in that area. You’ve got probably a month's worth of sight seeing in that trip and journeys in Scotland can take longer than you expect.

ABM replied on 21/04/2022 21:57

Posted on 21/04/2022 21:57

AS TW says, you have lots of miles thro some gorgeous scenery in your Tour Guide, SCREENY,  but for your own pleasure and delight remember it's not a military operation it is a Holiday so treat it as such.  Despite the rantings from the First Minister it will still be there long enough to see the Ben Nevis Massif worn down to fine gravel  wink

Coach Man replied on 21/04/2022 21:59

Posted on 21/04/2022 21:59

Tinwheeler. Thanks for the reassurance, we are planning it over a month, so good to hear we have got it about right. I had heard about the A82, planning to use the A84. 

Alex Cassells replied on 21/04/2022 22:05

Posted on 21/04/2022 22:05

Looks like a well planned circular-ish route, taking in a few different types of area.πŸ‘

We've stayed at The Woods. It has some nice views, if you're on a decent pitch. However, we prefer the commercial site in Callander, in the area. Walkable to town, open feeling, nice facilities too.

Bunree really does have great views and is a favourite of ours. We were recently at North Ledaig, near Oban, a little further South. Not much between the two.

We stayed on Culloden, just the once. We felt that there weren't many pitches with views and the site felt a bit cramped. Can only suggest Grantown on Spey a little further South as an excellent alternative,  if needed. 

Melrose is a cracking site for access to all of the towns amenities. Not the most picturesque,  but does what it says on the tin.

The Skye site looks to have a great position on the shoreline. Can't wait to visit it someday.

Lots to look forward to.πŸ‘πŸ™‚

Tinwheeler replied on 21/04/2022 22:21

Posted on 21/04/2022 21:59 by Coach Man

Tinwheeler. Thanks for the reassurance, we are planning it over a month, so good to hear we have got it about right. I had heard about the A82, planning to use the A84. 

Posted on 21/04/2022 22:21

Sounds like a good planπŸ‘πŸ»

I'm not a fan of the Culloden club site either, unless there’s a specific reason for being in that area. We preferred the C&CC site at Dingwall and it’s far better if you have a dog to consider.

Incidentally, you can choose your own user name by visiting My Profile.

EmilysDad replied on 21/04/2022 23:06

Posted on 21/04/2022 23:06

I've towed alongside Loch Lommond on the A82 a few times - we've stopped at a CL at Drymen  ..... there are nicer/bigger roads to tow on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it. As with many twisty A roads you just need to look a bit further up the road and keep left when HGVs are coming towards you

Tinwheeler replied on 21/04/2022 23:46

Posted on 21/04/2022 23:06 by EmilysDad

I've towed alongside Loch Lommond on the A82 a few times - we've stopped at a CL at Drymen  ..... there are nicer/bigger roads to tow on, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it. As with many twisty A roads you just need to look a bit further up the road and keep left when HGVs are coming towards you

Posted on 21/04/2022 23:46

....unless you're passing a  protruding rock at the timeπŸ™„

EmilysDad replied on 22/04/2022 05:46

Posted on 21/04/2022 23:46 by Tinwheeler

....unless you're passing a  protruding rock at the timeπŸ™„

Posted on 22/04/2022 05:46

That's why you're looking further ahead .... πŸ˜‰

SteveL replied on 22/04/2022 07:44

Posted on 21/04/2022 23:06 by EmilysDad

Posted on 22/04/2022 07:44

Although given the fact that from the Woods to Bunree it is 25 miles longer via the side of Loch Lomond I know which route I would take. It’s not as though the driver could appreciate the views on the more scenic route.

DSB replied on 22/04/2022 08:44

Posted on 22/04/2022 08:44

This year will be a first for us, taking the caravan to Scotland.  Our daughter and son-in-law moved to the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago, but when we've visited, we've usually taken others with us and have hired a cottage.

This year we're taking the caravan up to Grantown-on-Spey, near Aviemore... and we're popping in to Edinburgh on the way back. After coming home for two nights, we're then off to Devon and Dorset.  Then we're back home for 3 nights, before picking up my sister and brother-in-law for the Lewis with Harris trip and our hired cottage!  πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Enjoy your trip, Screen......  I'm also not a fan of the road that runs alongside Loch Lomond.  The last time we came back they'd closed the road just south of the junction at Tarbet (nr Loch Lomond) and we ended up having to follow diversion signs which took us goodness knows where.  Glad I wasn't towing!!

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook