Suggestions for Wales for 2022

Blakeys7 replied on 08/08/2021 10:50

Posted on 08/08/2021 10:50

Hello.

We are starting to plan for 2022 and have decided Wales might be nice, but as usual we are not sure why or what we hope to see and do :)

I like the idea of visiting the waterfalls so some suggestions of sites please and I won't be offended if they are not CAMC sites.

Only a couple of requirements

Dog friendly and a pub within walking distance

Thanks in advance

Blakey

replied on 08/08/2021 14:51

Posted on 08/08/2021 14:51

The user and all related content has been deleted

Tinwheeler replied on 08/08/2021 15:19

Posted on 08/08/2021 14:37 by

For some reason, and I cannot put my finger on why it is so, but I find that site utterly depressing. Went again recently and I cannot shake off that feeling of gloom. Maybe because, apart from the beach and wooded area, the village is a bit unattractive?? And Llanelli is hardly picturesque. I lived there once upon a time ... for a year only.

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:19

I suspect the highlight of Llanelli is the retail park at Parc TrostrešŸ˜€. Yes, I take your point in that respect. 

Pembrey Country Park itself I enjoy and the Gower, plus the area west of Pembrey. I’ve not found the site depressingšŸ¤·šŸ»‍ā™‚ļø

DavidKlyne replied on 08/08/2021 15:28

Posted on 08/08/2021 14:11 by Blakeys7

Shame, the Snowdon Mountain Railway is not dog friendly :(

Nice looking sites though

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:28

Llanberis is quite a nice spot for a few days and its an easy walk from the site mentioned by WTG to the other end of the village where all the main tourist attractions are including the Mountain Railway. There is another narrow gauge railway that goes along the far side of the lake and there is also the excellent Slate Museum which is free. 

Llanberis Touring park is an excellent base http://www.davidklyne.co.uk/llanberis_touring_park.html

David

replied on 08/08/2021 15:40

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:19 by Tinwheeler

I suspect the highlight of Llanelli is the retail park at Parc TrostrešŸ˜€. Yes, I take your point in that respect. 

Pembrey Country Park itself I enjoy and the Gower, plus the area west of Pembrey. Iā€™ve not found the site depressingšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:40

moulesy replied on 08/08/2021 15:41

Posted on 08/08/2021 14:51 by

Here's another suggestion:

Dolgoch Falls, between Tywyn and Abergynolwyn. I haven't stayed on a site there. Was supposed to be staying at Ynysmaengwyn in Tywyn last Autumn but it closed early. It's not too a bad a drive from Gwern-y-Bwlch CAMC site though. But that is not near a pub as I recall. Plenty of choice of sites and pubs in Tywyn.

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:41

That brings back very happy memories of racing the train at Tywyn, WTG. I don't know if the event is still going but it used to be a sell out and one of the great annual summer events for me (although I only managed to beat the train once!)

Tywyn, if I remember correctly is a lovely old fashioned seaside town. I can't remember the name of the site we stayed at, it would have been in our camping days, somewhere near Tal-y-llyn lake and I think we may have climbed Cader Idris direct from the site or certainly nearby.

Lovely area. smile

replied on 08/08/2021 15:54

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:41 by moulesy

That brings back very happy memories of racing the train at Tywyn, WTG. I don't know if the event is still going but it used to be a sell out and one of the great annual summer events for me (although I only managed to beat the train once!)

Tywyn, if I remember correctly is a lovely old fashioned seaside town. I can't remember the name of the site we stayed at, it would have been in our camping days, somewhere near Tal-y-llyn lake and I think we may have climbed Cader Idris direct from the site or certainly nearby.

Lovely area. smile

Posted on 08/08/2021 15:54

Takethedogalong replied on 08/08/2021 16:05

Posted on 08/08/2021 16:05

We had a lovely couple of weeks not far from Tywyn, but in a cottage. Very nice area.

This is the falls I want to visit http://www.pistyllrhaeadr.co.uk/

On the Wales/England border, lots of other interesting places around to visit, and plenty of Site alternatives. Might be slightly less busy than some of the other better known waterfalls.

replied on 08/08/2021 16:27

Posted on 08/08/2021 16:27

replied on 08/08/2021 16:44

Posted on 08/08/2021 16:27 by

If you want other ā€˜themedā€™ ideas in addition to waterfalls:

As mentioned above, Beaches: Gower AONB; Pembrokeshire Coast National Park; Ceredigion Heritage coast; LlÅ·n Peninsula AONB; Anglesey AONB.

Heritage Railways: 11 ā€œGreat Little Trains of Walesā€ (youā€™d need to check about dogs though).

Castles: a plentiful supply. Built by English Kings to subdue the peasants. Most imposing: Harlech; Caernarfon; Caerffili; Conwy. Small and pretty: Beaumaris on Anglesey; Criccieth on the LlÅ·n.

Lakes: (lots are reservoirs built by English engineers to drown the peasants). Elan Valley (most famous); Padarn (Llanberis); Tal-y-Llyn  (near aforementioned waterfalls at Dolgoch); Bala; Llyn Clywedog (remote and lovely); Llyn Celyn (google Cofiwch Dryweryn); Lake Vyrnwy (attractive with its Victorian tower).

A tour could happily combine many of these.

Posted on 08/08/2021 16:44

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rob2CathDavies replied on 08/08/2021 17:21

Posted on 08/08/2021 17:21

Well, if you can stomach yet another suggestion…

Coed y Llwyn CAMC site near Porthmadog, has a pub across the lane, we didn’t go in, but it was popular.  We don’t have a dog but there is a dog walk.

The super wardens have a leaflet with a 30 minute walk to one of the most peaceful and beautiful (but not the highest) waterfalls we have seen.  It has a gorgeous clear pool for swimming for dogs or people.  It was so lovely we went twice.

You could also visit Swallow Falls and Aber Falls on a day out.

Porthmadog has dog friendly beaches and I think the Ffestiniog Railway and Welsh Highland Railway, both from Porthmadog, are dog friendly too.

We have recently had a fabulous week there in mixed weather, loads to do, immediately booked for 2022.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook