Sites in Essex

DavidKlyne replied on 15/04/2023 14:29

Posted on 15/04/2023 14:29

Essex is not a place we have ventured to much and it doesn't seem that well blessed with campsites. I am aware of the Colchester Country Park campsite, which I think was once a Club affiliated which meets a lot of our requirements.  Unfortunately my requirements seem to knock quite a few off the list. Those requirements are:- hardstanding preferred, doesn't have to be serviced but that would be a bonus. Location needs to be near decent public transport, within half a mile, bus or train. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

David

brue replied on 15/04/2023 14:35

Posted on 15/04/2023 14:35

Well it's on grass David but Burnham Wick Farm CL a short stroll from Burnham on Crouch might be worth considering? Well kept grass and plenty of space with lovely views and walks. I think a few CTers have been there too. Burnham is very nice and we took our M/H off site quite easily to visit a few places on the Dengie Peninsula. You could always pick out a few CLs for a round trip as there seem to be quite a few on offer.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/certificated-locations/england/essex/burnham-on-crouch/burnham-wick-farm/ 

Bakers2 replied on 15/04/2023 19:29

Posted on 15/04/2023 19:29

Well you are really asking.......

Essex certainly isn't blessed with sites and having looked on the sites offered by CL's the only one I am certain is on a bus route, is

https://bookings.caravanclub.co.uk/sites?ne_lat=52.09266239999999&ne_lng=1.2965922&sw_lat=51.500757&sw_lng=-0.0197695&types=1&types=2&types=3&searchBy=location&eventType=2&method=replace&location=Essex%2C%20UK&showResults=true&campsiteId=c0c1c72b-7ba8-4726-8994-6f96e39251dd&activePin=c0c1c72b-7ba8-4726-8994-6f96e39251dd

Gosh that's a long link!

They'll be several bus routes passing very regularly.

I'm with brue on the Burnham on Crouch site, wonderful and I really miss our visits. However it's a good walk into the 'town'. along tge sea wall or the road you drive in on. But wildlife and local walks are priceless. Sitting in your motorhome which becomes a comfortable hide. Hares, barn owls, foxes, swallows.......

I'm a girl from Essex, not an Essex girl 🤐. What are you looking to do? Hard to answer I know. The Blasford site would get you to the Chelmsford railway station in 15 minutes then its train to London or the coast. Its a large diverse country with a very long coast line. 

If you want to see the county I'd suggest shorter stays at several different sites (only used the Burnham on Crouch site ourselves) in locations to explore but I doubt you'll find anywhere with your wishes 🥲. The other club has a club site, not sure if that's on a bus route, they also have CS's can't check those as not a member any more and only used one near Chapel, lovely site but no public transport. They have a club site at Polstead, near the suffolk border, that had buses close by when we used and Hadleigh, Siffolk is an intersting place. That would lead you on to Ipswich.

Happy to help if I can. The site Wherenext has linked looks lovely, but I'd expect you'd have to walk to the main road for a bus to the b1256. A tidy walk.

eribaMotters replied on 15/04/2023 19:51

Posted on 15/04/2023 19:51

David, as you have found out Essex is not blessed with C&MC sites. In earlier days I was a member of the other club, who had a better coverage.

I'd try UKCampsites and I think you'll find something to your liking.

Colin

eurortraveller replied on 15/04/2023 20:35

Posted on 15/04/2023 20:35

An old friend who lives in Felixstowe suggests Peewit Cavan Park there. He says it fits your wish list. - 45 pitches, some hard, ten minutes walk to the promenade,  buses to Ipswich available, and there’s a Lidl close by, but not a Waitrose. Afraid you can’t have that.

Lutz replied on 16/04/2023 06:01

Posted on 16/04/2023 06:01

I have the same problem finding a suitable site when returning to Essex where I grew up. Last year we stayed at Saltcote Hall CL just outside Maldon. It doesn't have hardstandings but the bus from Maldon to Goldhanger passes right by.

AcoupleofOldies replied on 27/05/2023 14:18

Posted on 27/05/2023 14:18

Hi David, you could always try the CL at Chappel which is about three miles away from us. Their web site is https://www.greenacresfarm.net/ and the site is in easy walking distance of the Chappel Station which gives you access to Sudbury which has a large selection of shops. Alternatively walk down Vernons Road to Rose Green on the A1124 (about 1/4 mile) where the 88 bus takes you to Colchester or on other side of road to Halstead. runs every 30 minutes and you can use your bus pass, we do! Trust this helps

DavidKlyne replied on 27/05/2023 14:46

Posted on 27/05/2023 14:46

Thanks for the suggestions. I will note them but we have decided to now go north for our next trip but will keep suggestions in mind for future trips.

David

toby28 replied on 01/06/2023 10:19

Posted on 15/04/2023 14:29 by DavidKlyne

Essex is not a place we have ventured to much and it doesn't seem that well blessed with campsites. I am aware of the Colchester Country Park campsite, which I think was once a Club affiliated which meets a lot of our requirements.  Unfortunately my requirements seem to knock quite a few off the list. Those requirements are:- hardstanding preferred, doesn't have to be serviced but that would be a bonus. Location needs to be near decent public transport, within half a mile, bus or train. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

David

Posted on 01/06/2023 10:19

We have stayed at this site on a few occasions.

Have not used grass pitches so can't comment on those however hard standing serviced pitches are very good and plenty of space.

Public transport into Colchester is a short walk away.

Brilliant chinese and chip shop just up the road.

I do agree site in Essex are few and far between.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook