Site full - but not?? What is going on?

SallyD replied on 10/07/2024 18:56

Posted on 10/07/2024 18:56

Arrived at Poolsbrook one day last week having booked for a few nights to break our journey south from Scotland to home. No issues when booking - not a full night showing anywhere for late June/ early July and not even a Low anywhere. As is my habit I checked availability the day before we were due to arrive just to get a feel of how busy it might be and was astonished to see that EVERY night on all types of pitches were full for the next 7 days or more. Couldn’t find anything happening in the local area when looking online and when checking other local sites even Chatsworth was not full over the same period. Imagine my surprise when we arrived to see the board outside the office stating pitches available today! Asking the site manager when we were checking in as to why the site was showing full on the booking system she said it was down to site management as directed by the club??? 
Why would this be? It was quite apparent that the site was about 2/3rds full at most whilst we were there but if anyone was wanting to book through the system they would not have got in. Is the club manipulating site occupancy in some way? It seems odd that Poolsbrook is one of the sites that no longer opens all year - is this because they are claiming it is not needed due to occupancy levels?
I find this most concerning because there must be a number of members who are notable to book into sites that they want to use and have to find other places to stay instead which must risk them questioning whether to bother trying to stay on a club site in the future.

Wherenext replied on 10/07/2024 19:16

Posted on 10/07/2024 19:16

One can only assume that it is down to staffing levels. There must be a diktat somewhere about numbers of staff required in relation to occupants.

Quite worrying if the club are deliberately blocking members from using the sites because they are incapable of staffing them. Chicken and Egg situation.

My opinion only.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/07/2024 19:18

Posted on 10/07/2024 19:18

Maybe it was the website throwing one of its frequent hissy fits 🤷🏻‍♂️

Takethedogalong replied on 10/07/2024 20:10

Posted on 10/07/2024 20:10

We had this at North York Moors. Wanted to extend by a night, website said site full for all pitches. My eyes told me different, I duly asked at reception next morning and got one of the thirty odd spare pitches.

Maybe it’s linked to dynamic pricing. Make it look full, then charge the higher price.

(She said, cynically) 

SallyD replied on 10/07/2024 20:35

Posted on 10/07/2024 19:18 by Tinwheeler

Maybe it was the website throwing one of its frequent hissy fits 🤷🏻‍♂️

Posted on 10/07/2024 20:35

Nope as site manager confirmed the situation 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/07/2024 20:42

Posted on 10/07/2024 20:35 by SallyD

Nope as site manager confirmed the situation 

Posted on 10/07/2024 20:42

Have you taken it further and asked CAMC the reason?  Those of us posting here can only make guesses.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook