Site Arrival

Bonnymike replied on 10/07/2021 19:54

Posted on 10/07/2021 19:54

I,m sure this may have been discussed before but when arriving at Battle Site recently I realised there was a benefit from the Covid restrictions.

A sign at the barrier made it clear that until we booked in we could not enter site, as we would still be visitors, and this was not allowed under present restrictions.

Having given this some thought I hope the club will continue to use this rule to stop the habit of some members  from using one of there number to wander in to the site and "sit" on a pitch, thus jumping ahead of their place in the queque.

Recently visited Malvern Site and when we found a pitch realised that opposite us a person was sat on a pitch, having come from a vehicle several places behind us in the arrivals lane. Didn,t affect us, but consider it to be a despicable attitude which  should be stopped by easily insisting all persons stay in the vehicle until through the barrier.

HarryTheHymer replied on 11/07/2021 21:06

Posted on 11/07/2021 21:06

yes, very rude, only experienced it once. At check in, as I’m disabled, the warden kindly pointed out a pitch near the toilets for me, as we drove off to it, a woman from a caravan behind waiting to check in sprinted past us.

‘Could you move please, I’m trying to park on this pitch?

’I’m reserving it’

’Well, I’m here first with my caravan and I’m staying here until you move’

She moved.

replied on 12/07/2021 07:26

Posted on 12/07/2021 07:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

mickysf replied on 12/07/2021 08:31

Posted on 12/07/2021 08:31

It’s just plain rude. Heard a warden say, ‘it’s only your pitch when the wheels of your caravan are on it!’ 

I did guess that those of us with motorhomes find our pitch first, drive on, place marker on it, then go to MSP and fill with water. 

SteveL replied on 12/07/2021 08:43

Posted on 12/07/2021 07:26 by

Sneaky behaviour is indefensible  but wanting a queue on the starting blocks says everything  I dislike about club sites. Maybe its unavoidable in this country especially  at club sites with little or no parking for arrivals . However compare  this with our regular  experience  in mainland Europe, arrive park up make ourselves known to reception (if its open) walk the site, if it's a first visit decide whether we will stay and select a pitch . At sites that do pitch reservations  we are sometimes  given a list of availability for the maximum time we think we night stay.  What we dont ever do is drive around looking for a pitch  disturbing everyone,. We do this rrespective of how big the site

Posted on 12/07/2021 08:43

Whilst I wouldn’t defend that sort of sneaky behaviour. I’m sure some think we are guilty occasionally. If not on a service pitch, we will stop to fill with water after checking in. OH will wander off with our MH using this pitch sign and pick one.
Having said that at the times we go, except for a few popular sites, queuing is a bit over hyped. Since sites opened this year we have stopped on 18. Fourteen of which were CAMC, 3 C&CC one private. Although we generally arrived close to the published arrival time, at all but three there was either nobody, or a queue of 1 or 2. Clumber had around 4 waiting, as did Barnard Castle. The only significant queue was at Bridlington where there were about 10.

Graydjames replied on 12/07/2021 10:11

Posted on 12/07/2021 10:11

SteveL said:

"Whilst I wouldn’t defend that sort of sneaky behaviour. I’m sure some think we are guilty occasionally. If not on a service pitch, we will stop to fill with water after checking in. OH will wander off with our MH using this pitch sign and pick one."

In my view there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with what you describe here Steve. You've checked in. You've every right to reserve a pitch as far as I am concerned once you've done that. It can take a long time to fill a tank and I don't see why you should have to let several people, who arrived after you, get their pick before you. As a solo motorhomer, I don't get that chance; therefore, I try to work things to avoid the need for the service point.

The behaviour described by the OP, however, is not acceptable in my view.

Tigi replied on 12/07/2021 19:10

Posted on 12/07/2021 19:10

Personally I`d just drive on the pitch regardless, as per earlier comment it ain`t your pitch until your wheels have touched it once and a marker is on it. 

DaveTess replied on 19/07/2021 17:55

Posted on 19/07/2021 17:55

Very rude, 

We always turn up around the time you are asked to, we are currently on a club site, sited by the entrance and Sunday people started to turn up at 10.30, they were held for a bit, but then let on, this is totally unfair, needs to be a strict rule! People turned away at reception.

As for Motor homes and camper vans,  I would drive round pick my pitch, put my sign up, then drive back round to the service point and fill up.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook