Service point design

Robth replied on 21/02/2023 14:22

Posted on 21/02/2023 14:22

Hi. Is anyone else fed-up with the design of the chemical emptying points. In the past there used to be two taps, one of which did not have a hose on it and could be used to recharge the cassette. This meant that you didn't have to get involved in handling the wash down hose, which inevitably had been in the chute and would therefore be pretty foul. The second tap has now disappeared and all we have is a single fitting with an anti-backfeed device on it, the design of which seems to be that, when the slightest back pressure is detected in the pipe, water is discharged out of the valve itself. This water then ends up soaking clothing and shoes while you're trying to clean the chute and recharge your cassette. I have spoken to the warden on Minehead site and he tells me they are mandatory but surely there must be a better system, one which would prevent water being ejected everywhere.

DavidKlyne replied on 21/02/2023 16:11

Posted on 21/02/2023 16:11

I have been a victim of those sorts of taps more than once! The C&CC seem to have a better system except they don't have as many points per site as the CMC do. 

I would prefer to have a second tap rather than use the hose. I imagine the must be a reason why they have been removed, surely it can't be cost? Perhaps if JK sees this he might be able to enlighten us?

David

montesa replied on 21/02/2023 16:25

Posted on 21/02/2023 16:25

fwiw …
As regards the one way non return valve (a legal requirement I think) spraying water everywhere would concur. 
There seems to be mixed results though as some sites seem to have fitted them and they don’t spray water at all. Equally Maidstone have rigged up a household gutter to attemp to collect all the spraying water and get it back into the sluice out rather than fix the issue ? 
Think most service points suffer from a lack of interest by area managers or Head Office. A quick attempt at operating by them might resolve ? 
M

SallyD replied on 28/02/2023 18:16

Posted on 28/02/2023 18:16

But surely you have to handle the hose to rinse out the cassette? If you feel worried about touching the hose then use disposal gloves and again don’t you direct the hose around the sluice area to ensure it’s properly clean before you leave it for the next person?.

EmilysDad replied on 28/02/2023 18:46

Posted on 28/02/2023 18:46

I believe there has to be some kind of devise to prevent dirty water from being syphoned back into the mains water .... quite how it could syphon back against mains water pressure I've no idea but there you are. The stupid anti-syphon devises they use on clubs sites seem to particular to the club .... I've yet to see them any where else. Surely all that's needed is a none return like any tap you'd buy at B&Q

SteveL replied on 28/02/2023 18:48

Posted on 28/02/2023 18:16 by SallyD

But surely you have to handle the hose to rinse out the cassette? If you feel worried about touching the hose then use disposal gloves and again don’t you direct the hose around the sluice area to ensure it’s properly clean before you leave it for the next person?.

Posted on 28/02/2023 18:48

You do have to handle the hose to wash round the sluice area, as you say. However, not to fill the cassette for rinsing if there is a separate non hosed tap, as was often the case in the past and still exist occasionally. I certainly find it awkward using the hose to rinse the cassette. It often causes kinking of the hose, which then results in the non return device spraying everywhere.

richardandros replied on 01/03/2023 05:45

Posted on 28/02/2023 18:46 by EmilysDad

I believe there has to be some kind of devise to prevent dirty water from being syphoned back into the mains water .... quite how it could syphon back against mains water pressure I've no idea but there you are. The stupid anti-syphon devises they use on clubs sites seem to particular to the club .... I've yet to see them any where else. Surely all that's needed is a none return like any tap you'd buy at B&Q

Posted on 01/03/2023 05:45

Totally agree ED - and what I don't understand is - that if they are a LEGAL requirement - why don't site inspectors insist they are fitted on all CLs? Like you, I've never seen one anywhere other than on a Club site and they are a b. nuisance.

Freedom a whitebox replied on 01/03/2023 08:12

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:12

The little chrome devices are designed to let air into the hose once the water is turned off and to allow any water in the hose to drain out. In doing so it helps prevent bacteria growing in the water left past the non return valve.

they are prone to spraying water out when they require replacing or under some water pressure conditions.

It’s all about risk management.

EmilysDad replied on 01/03/2023 08:31

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:12 by Freedom a whitebox

The little chrome devices are designed to let air into the hose once the water is turned off and to allow any water in the hose to drain out. In doing so it helps prevent bacteria growing in the water left past the non return valve.

they are prone to spraying water out when they require replacing or under some water pressure conditions.

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:31

so why don't we have them at work where food production areas are cleaned using long hose reels? They have a shut off valve at each end. 🤷‍♂️

JollyKernow replied on 01/03/2023 08:34

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:12 by Freedom a whitebox

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:34

It certainly is F. 

We installed those valves in 2016 and we've learnt over the years how to combat the wet foot syndrome. I've found the easiest way is to raise the tap as high as possible and position it more over the ccep, that way with a longer hose it's less likely to kink which makes the spray.

Don't ask why that's not done everywhere, that question is for higher up the chain.

Ccep's that had a second tap had those removed back in 2016 when we installed the valves. 

What amuses me is the amount of people I see rinsing out their cassettes a zillion times, poking the hose into that cassette then handling that hose without gloves onundecided

JK

EmilysDad replied on 01/03/2023 08:39

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:34 by JollyKernow

It certainly is F. 

We installed those valves in 2016 and we've learnt over the years how to combat the wet foot syndrome. I've found the easiest way is to raise the tap as high as possible and position it more over the ccep, that way with a longer hose it's less likely to kink which makes the spray.

Don't ask why that's not done everywhere, that question is for higher up the chain.

Ccep's that had a second tap had those removed back in 2016 when we installed the valves. 

What amuses me is the amount of people I see rinsing out their cassettes a zillion times, poking the hose into that cassette then handling that hose without gloves onundecided

JK

Posted on 01/03/2023 08:39

... then handling that hose without gloves on

It's only a bit of poo 😉 More chance of poo on you changing a baby's nappy 🙄 or mucking a shippen out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook