Scotland

Reeder57 replied on 20/02/2022 09:54

Posted on 20/02/2022 09:54

Does anyone know if you can do the north coast 500 towing a caravan.

i keep getting told they are not letting caravans on it.

KjellNN replied on 24/02/2022 10:25

Posted on 24/02/2022 10:25

I cannot see how they could be banned.

We have done the route twice, no problem if you stick to the main A roads when towing.  There are some smaller side roads that are not suitable for towing, so explore those solo.

However, the route is now so popular that the roads will be very busy, the sites too, so I would advise booking sites if possible.

Be considerate while on the move, remember people live and work in the area and have places to go, things to do.     Use the passing places only for passing or allowing overtaking, not for stopping to admire the view.  Sight lines are good so you can see well ahead and stop in good time.  The single track bits are wide single track, so nothing to worry about.

You will meet busses and lorries, they use the route all the time, so if they can do it, so can any caravan or MH.

Navigateur replied on 24/02/2022 10:54

Posted on 24/02/2022 10:54

The designation of NC500 or anything similar is a fabrication of the tourist industry and has no legal standing.

The roads are all normal roads and normal rules apply.

dave the rave replied on 24/02/2022 14:56

Posted on 20/02/2022 09:54 by Reeder57

Does anyone know if you can do the north coast 500 towing a caravan.

i keep getting told they are not letting caravans on it.

Posted on 24/02/2022 14:56

I am a little bit concerned! The NC500 is a tourist route designed by the scottish tourist board and the idea (apart from bringing tourists to the area to spend money ) is to follow a very scenic route around the north of scotland.If one is towing a caravan (or driving a motorhome) then the driver will not see the beautiful scenery because they will be concentrating on driving hopefully!Ideally a tourist should pick a few sites for a few days each and explore from there.Am I missing something???

Tinwheeler replied on 24/02/2022 15:09

Posted on 24/02/2022 14:56 by dave the rave

I am a little bit concerned! The NC500 is a tourist route designed by the scottish tourist board and the idea (apart from bringing tourists to the area to spend money ) is to follow a very scenic route around the north of scotland.If one is towing a caravan (or driving a motorhome) then the driver will not see the beautiful scenery because they will be concentrating on driving hopefully!Ideally a tourist should pick a few sites for a few days each and explore from there.Am I missing something???

Posted on 24/02/2022 15:09

We’ve done it in parts with both caravan and MH before it became the 'in' thing to do. Plan a route and stop at sites along that route for a few days at a time is my recommendation. Surely people don't just drive and do nothing else? That’s why folk shouldn’t try to do the whole thing in a week or so but allow plenty of time.

dave the rave replied on 24/02/2022 15:22

Posted on 24/02/2022 15:09 by Tinwheeler

We’ve done it in parts with both caravan and MH before it became the 'in' thing to do. Plan a route and stop at sites along that route for a few days at a time is my recommendation. Surely people don't just drive and do nothing else? That’s why folk shouldn’t try to do the whole thing in a week or so but allow plenty of time.

Posted on 24/02/2022 15:22

Exactly......I did it years ago.......based my caravan at Altnaharrer and did sections over 2 weeks.

Tinwheeler replied on 24/02/2022 15:33

Posted on 24/02/2022 15:22 by dave the rave

Exactly......I did it years ago.......based my caravan at Altnaharrer and did sections over 2 weeks.

Posted on 24/02/2022 15:33

Beautiful spot is Altnaharra.

We kept moving on but spent between 2 and 5 nights in each place. 

ABM replied on 24/02/2022 19:35

Posted on 24/02/2022 19:35

Just make sure you a} are fit enough !!  Altnahara has water and waste point at the top of the bank -- look out for Jack n Jill !surprised

And b } you will be on a single track road up to the North Coast  so DO NOT RUSH IT -- Much too bootiful to miss anything  wink

And c } look out for A B M  - he ( I ) will be a touch stroppy if the site is full -- be assured !! yell

ADP1963 replied on 25/02/2022 09:27

Posted on 25/02/2022 09:27

We did this trip in 2006 towing a Lunar Delta and taking 6 weeks, it was the 2nd time we had done it, fabulous scenery. Things were much quieter then, certainly have no desire to do it now as beautiful as it is. All the above advice is good advice, you need time to absorb the beauty, I don't see the point of rushing the trip and pressurising ones self just to say you have done it. Remember it is your holiday.

brue replied on 25/02/2022 09:56

Posted on 25/02/2022 09:56

We previously had a 10 day holiday at Dunnet when we had our caravan and a great time exploring Caithness, Orkney and Sutherland, there is so much to see in the far north! 

Out of interest we visited Dunnet Head and the little homestead museum. A day on Orkney seeing places we'd missed previously. The bird cliffs at Duncansby. John O Groats. The museums at Thurso and Wick. The Viking museum and coastline south of Wick. We got as far as Tongue, Eriboll and were in view of the journey to Cape Wrath (have seen that from the sea.) We also visited the Castle of Mey and nearby shorelines.

If you're intent on "doing the NC 500" route it's unlikely you'll see the many individual places of interest it will just be a journey in itself.

We've had lots of other separate visits exploring different parts of the north, thinking of it as a big area worth repeat visits to very different spots.smile

replied on 25/02/2022 10:26

Posted on 25/02/2022 10:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook