Route. York to Edinburgh?

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2023 14:50

Posted on 15/08/2023 14:50

Well, if you have heard of the A1, the major road that goes from London, right up the centre of England, along the coast into Scotland, and right through Edinburgh, that would be a good one to follow😁 All you need to do from York, is get on the ring road, off onto the A64 going West, take the turning/junction that says A1North, and you have cracked it.

Lots of places to stop off along the A1. There are services, campsites, CLs all along the route, whether you want a short break or an overnight stop. You cannot take a caravan into Scotch Corner Services though, they are banned, as parking is very tight. 

Any UK road atlas has the A1 marked. A Sat Nav would consider it the best route as well. 

Come back if you need some good overnight stop offs👍 We have some nice suggestions.

Kasspa replied on 15/08/2023 15:13

Posted on 15/08/2023 14:50 by Takethedogalong

Well, if you have heard of the A1, the major road that goes from London, right up the centre of England, along the coast into Scotland, and right through Edinburgh, that would be a good one to follow😁 All you need to do from York, is get on the ring road, off onto the A64 going West, take the turning/junction that says A1North, and you have cracked it.

Lots of places to stop off along the A1. There are services, campsites, CLs all along the route, whether you want a short break or an overnight stop. You cannot take a caravan into Scotch Corner Services though, they are banned, as parking is very tight. 

Any UK road atlas has the A1 marked. A Sat Nav would consider it the best route as well. 

Come back if you need some good overnight stop offs👍 We have some nice suggestions.

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:13

Amusing but a bit harsh given the OP hasn't yet changed their profile name & maybe new to CT or the 'hobby' altogether....

It is only approx a 4.5 hour drive which I would consider easily manageable without the need for a stop over, just break up your journey with a good stop for lunch.

Enjoy.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/08/2023 15:23

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:23

I suppose sticking to the A1 is probably the most direct route but alternatively you could use the A19 to Newcastle which would mean going through the Tyne Tunnel (the A1 skirts around to the west of the city) From Newcastle you have two choices continue on the A1 all the way to Edinburgh and join the bypass around the south of the City and then follow the Club instructions, on here or in your site directory. You could also use the A68 across country from Newcastle. Durham Grange is only minutes from the A1 if you are looking for an overnight stay.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 15/08/2023 15:24

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:24

Kasspa, the OP has been around for at least 2 years. I’ll give anyone advice about my local roads and their suitability but I’m surprised someone needs to ask about a major route. I suppose some of us have the advantage of having been used to navigating from maps🤷🏻‍♂️

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2023 15:27

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:27

I was being friendly Kasspa, not trying to be “amusing”. Hence the smiley.

York to Edinburgh is about as easy a towing route as you can get, hence why I gave the basic number of roads, and simple instructions. To finish it off exactly, just before Edinburgh, you use the A199 to stay along the coast to the Edinburgh Club Site at Leith. 

Make sure you check out any road works before heading up the A1, and be aware it can get very busy around the Gateshead area at certain times of the day. After Newcastle, stretches are single carriageway with some dualled miles as well. It’s a beautiful route up beyond Newcastle, there’s lots to see on the roadside. 

Cornersteady replied on 15/08/2023 15:31

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:31

You have two choice to begin with, the A19 and the A1. 

The A19 is quieter traffic wise and far more interesting than the A1 and our preferred route to York. Take this if time isn't pressing. There is a service station past Peterlee that will take caravans but it's not that good for food and drinks. After that it will take you to the Tyne Tunnel where there is a toll but you can pay in advance, just google Tyne Tunnel.  After the tunnel it will join up with the A1. It is usually a good run through with no hold ups apart from rush hours. 

The A1 is usually fast till Washington but has more traffic. There's services at Washington that takes caravans with the usual food and drinks shops. After that beware that it will be very congested at rush hour and there are very extensive roadworks which will slow you down even at other times down to about 30 mph or less and then the parts past the Metro centre are always slow (40 - 50 mph).

After that it's the A1 to Edinburgh, I can't recollect any major service stations but there are plenty of laybys. It's not all dual carriageways though.

Is your stop a comfort break or a overnighter? 

SteveL replied on 15/08/2023 15:39

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:39

My suggestion would be. A1 or A19 / A1 to just north of Newcastle then onto the A697. Overnight at River Breamish CAMC site 125 miles from York. Onto Edinburgh site the next day, 80 miles using the A697 through Coldstream and A68 to the ring road DK mentions, then follow the clubs directions. Actually River Breamish  is worth a couple of nights if you have time.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/08/2023 15:52

Posted on 15/08/2023 15:52

We did this trip some years ago using the A1 to Newcastle and then the A68 through the Border Towns to Edinburgh. It’s not the quickest route but we weren’t looking for that and the Borders are lovely. I think we overnighted at Durham’s Grange although that might have been a different occasion…

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2023 16:43

Posted on 15/08/2023 16:43

Simplicity and ease possibly best for anyone unfamiliar with the roads. A19 and A68 are good routes, but you can’t go wrong really with A64, A1 North, then A199. Good wide towing roads, only one junction to remember, no going through Teesside, Wearside, no Tunnel tolls. Piece of cake, but just look up any roadworks, and avoid Gateshead area between 4.30pm and 6pm. It’s been our preferred route for the last 40 years going North😁

KjellNN replied on 15/08/2023 19:40

Posted on 15/08/2023 19:40

I would use the A1, we did this summer, going in the opposite direction, then as David said the Edinburgh bypass to approach the CAMC site from the west side of Edinburgh.    Having worked extensively in the Edinburgh area, I would say that the route via the A199 along the coast suggested by TTDA is not that good for towing if a large outfit.

Being  only a bit over 200 miles, unless you particularly want  an overnight  stop, it is easily done in one day.    Finding a service area to stop in is not essential, though there are several, there are plenty of good lay-bys on the non motorway sections.  You have everything you need in the van, so no  need for more than a decent lay- by.  

Drop a couple of steadies, turn the fridge to gas and enjoy some fresh hot coffee ( or whatever you prefer), a good lunch, and a little snooze if desired.

I would make an early-ish start, on the road by 9am, then an early lunch stop, say by 12, to avoid the lunch time crowds in the services or lay-bys.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook