Return of deposits, or not

clarinetman replied on 05/06/2022 12:25

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:25

Had an interesting discussion with cc staff who said that if you have to cancel after the introduction of deposits, the system directs you to the club terms and conditions which will advise you to seek the deposit from your holiday insurance. Don’t know about anyone else but as I only holiday in UK now I don’t have holiday insurance.

Moderator Edit:

As we already have a thread discussing the new booking system and deposits, I'm locking this one.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/06/2022 12:39

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:39

It is possible to get UK insurance cover.

Those terms are common throughout the industry so it’s no surprise.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/06/2022 12:39

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:39

I’d wait and see what the actual terms and conditions are to be honest. It sounds as though the Club have a deposit refund up to 21 days before holiday start date, so it’s that last three weeks that needs clarifying. It’s not uncommon to need holiday insurance for other types of home nation based stays, such as hotels, B&B, cottages. 

Maybe the Club will be able to provide folks with insurance? (Pardon my cynicism 😉)

replied on 05/06/2022 12:41

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:41

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 05/06/2022 12:56

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:56

Depends on length of holiday, and where you go DD. Take Looe for 21 nights in August for a couple. Even with an £85 excess, you would still get nearly £60 back of your 25% deposit. Agree that at certain times, certain sites, not worth it.
Nice little earner for the Club from all those who like to book well in advance. But then maybe that’s what deposits are all about, stopping all that block booking, penalising those that cancel late, or not at all🤷‍♀️
I can see it transforming how some folks book. Anyone who has commitments or health issues, that benefitted from being able to transfer or cancel things at short notice will need to rethink perhaps. But we can’t be sure at this stage, until T&Cs are made public.

replied on 05/06/2022 13:34

Posted on 05/06/2022 12:56 by Takethedogalong

Depends on length of holiday, and where you go DD. Take Looe for 21 nights in August for a couple. Even with an £85 excess, you would still get nearly £60 back of your 25% deposit. Agree that at certain times, certain sites, not worth it.
Nice little earner for the Club from all those who like to book well in advance. But then maybe that’s what deposits are all about, stopping all that block booking, penalising those that cancel late, or not at all🤷‍♀️
I can see it transforming how some folks book. Anyone who has commitments or health issues, that benefitted from being able to transfer or cancel things at short notice will need to rethink perhaps. But we can’t be sure at this stage, until T&Cs are made public.

Posted on 05/06/2022 13:34

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 05/06/2022 13:43

Posted on 05/06/2022 13:43

From the FAQ:

What happens to my deposit if I cancel my booking?
Deposits are fully refundable if the booking is cancelled more than 21 days before arrival. This will give other members enough time to make a new booking and take advantage of the available pitch.

How much will a deposit be?
A deposit will be calculated for each individual campsite stay within a booking and will usually be 20% of the total value of each stay. If several different campsite stays are booked together within one booking, one payment will be taken at the time of booking to cover all the applicable deposits of all the stays combined. There is a minimum deposit value of £25 per stay. However, if the total price of the stay is less than £25, then the total price will be paid as the deposit.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook