Rest break near Exeter good for caravan and dogs

Annesats replied on 15/07/2021 22:03

Posted on 15/07/2021 22:03

Hi All.  We are due to embark on our longest trip yet…Southampton to Truro (we’re new to this!) And looking for recommendations for somewhere with good access for a rest break within half an hour of Exeter, either side. Need it to be ok for towing a caravan and giving the dogs a quick walk, preferably more than just a sniff around on a verge. Any ideas?  Thanks 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2021 12:22

Posted on 16/07/2021 12:22

I’m not sure because it’s a bit close to home for us to ever need a break in that area but, whatever you do, avoid Exeter Services at all costs. If you're on the M5 and want a m/way service area, Taunton Dean is good for caravan parking and has a fair bit of grass around the edge.

If you’re planning to use the A30, I'd check out possibilities west of Exeter via Google Earth but there is very little other than lay-bys as far as I’m aware. Do the same for the A30/A303 east of Exeter.

I don’t know when you’re planning to travel but it’s very busy everywhere this year.

replied on 16/07/2021 12:48

Posted on 16/07/2021 12:48

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SeasideBill replied on 16/07/2021 12:59

Posted on 16/07/2021 12:59

You could use the CMC site at Exeter Racecourse. Easy access, signposted off the A38 in the direction of Plymouth. There is loads of space there and you could park up in the site overflow car park on the left just before the reception entrance. Apart from race days there is acres of space and nobody would bat an eyelid as caravans and motorhomes are often parked there for various reasons. I’m sure if you wanted to ok it with the wardens they wouldn’t have a problem with you being there for an hour or so. You can also walk (underpass) to the services on the other side of the A38 where there’s shops and fast food.

Its also a great site for an overnight stay or longer. Generally has pitches available and cheap compared to most CMC sites.

DaveCyn replied on 16/07/2021 13:44

Posted on 16/07/2021 13:44

If you're traveling via the A35, via Dorchester & Bridport, there's a rest area just west of  Bridport suitable for caravans. Bit of grass for the dogs to have a comfort break though I don't think it's big enough to run them off the leads.

It's located just over the brow of the hill just west of Bridport.

eurortraveller replied on 16/07/2021 13:49

Posted on 16/07/2021 13:49

Anne, try and travel mid week, or very early in the day,  or late into the evening, but avoid coming into Cornwall on a Saturday morning at all costs. Have a safe journey.

moulesy replied on 16/07/2021 16:19

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:19

Anne - please be aware that if you're heading for Truro down the A30, there are very long (and I mean very, very long) queues at Carland Cross where prep work has already started for dualling the next section down to Chyverton Cross. Friends of ours said the queues were stretching up to 7 miles back last weekend, and it's not restricted to peak times.

I'm not sure what the alternative towing route might be - which site are you heading for?

brue replied on 16/07/2021 16:29

Posted on 16/07/2021 13:44 by DaveCyn

If you're traveling via the A35, via Dorchester & Bridport, there's a rest area just west of  Bridport suitable for caravans. Bit of grass for the dogs to have a comfort break though I don't think it's big enough to run them off the leads.

It's located just over the brow of the hill just west of Bridport.

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:29

Yes that's a good one but the roads down there are very busy so start your journey as early as possible. After that I'd avoid services and use lay bys if possible, Exeter services will be packed (50 mile queues predicted on M5 etc.) Use the A30 and just after Honiton the lay bys are set well back from the road, our dog copes with them. The next off the road ones  are on the A30 approaching Sowton and there is also Sowton Services. Good luck, start early and you can always wait in a lay by nearer to your destination or at Cornwall Services not far from Truro. Good luck!

DEBSC replied on 16/07/2021 16:41

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:41

We regularly travel on the M5 and the M4 M5 we never make these journeys on a Friday or Saturday in the summer, it's just too busy. I do know that not everyone has the option of avoiding the weekends but it's best to try. With the volume of people coming here at the moment the journey isn't good even during the week, let alone a weekend.As Brue says, best to start early, and I know that's what Moulesy always does.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/07/2021 16:47

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:47

"….you can always wait in a lay by nearer to your destination or at Cornwall Services not far from Truro." 

I fear waiting as far back as Cornwall Services will greatly enhance your chance of being delayed by the roadworks referred to by Moulesy. Best to get through the Chiverton to Carland section before you find a time killing spot if possible.

brue replied on 16/07/2021 16:49

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:29 by brue

Yes that's a good one but the roads down there are very busy so start your journey as early as possible. After that I'd avoid services and use lay bys if possible, Exeter services will be packed (50 mile queues predicted on M5 etc.) Use the A30 and just after Honiton the lay bys are set well back from the road, our dog copes with them. The next off the road ones  are on the A30 approaching Sowton and there is also Sowton Services. Good luck, start early and you can always wait in a lay by nearer to your destination or at Cornwall Services not far from Truro. Good luck!

Posted on 16/07/2021 16:49

Sorry I meant Sourton Cross not Sowton which is Exeter

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook