Premium pitch / pup tent

JTCamper replied on 27/10/2022 18:53

Posted on 27/10/2022 18:53

Hello all,

We are staying on a premium pitch at West Ayton. We put up a small pup tent on the pitch and told by a warden this evening we have to move it onto the gravel or take it down. the tent isn’t suitable for gravel, it’s a small trekking tent  

We paid for extra for the space so we could put up a small tent. The pitch has a BBQ stand and space for a table (there is no table) The pitches are separated by beech hedges. I don’t understand what the problem is if we put up a pup tent on the grass on the confines of our pitch. We haven’t put the awning up. The grass pitches are still open and awnings are allowed on them. 
I have read the rules, I can’t see what the problem is. 

Tinwheeler replied on 27/10/2022 19:06

Posted on 27/10/2022 19:06

It’ll probably be a spacing thing. While your pup tent is allowed on any pitch, it might be that by pitching it on the grass area, you could be encroaching into the fire break area.

Only the warden will be able to tell you for sure.

mickysf replied on 27/10/2022 19:23

Posted on 27/10/2022 19:23

If you had booked a grass pitch then clearly, if you pitched the tent correctly with the fire breaks then all would have been well. Unfortunately much of the grass surrounding hard standings will fall foul of this as they are not part of the pitch. The gravel itself of course will be fine for pitching a pup tent but you will need a protective groundsheet and possibly foam tiles. Hope this helps.

Kasspa replied on 27/10/2022 21:58

Posted on 27/10/2022 21:58

We stayed at Cayton Village last August & everything had to be kept within the gravel area of the pitch.... 'pup tent' had a good groundsheet to protect it + an airbed inside so gravel wasn't a problem....

replied on 28/10/2022 08:03

Posted on 28/10/2022 08:03

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

SteveL replied on 28/10/2022 13:18

Posted on 28/10/2022 13:18

Depending on which premium pitch you were on, several of which back onto woodland  and where you put the tent, it may not be a spacing thing. Although the grass pitches were in use, I don’t believe that means you can automatically use the grass about your HS pitch. Generally I believe everything should be contained within the gravel area. Although I have known pup tents be permitted on the grass behind at Cirencester. Perhaps, if you had asked…….

TimboC replied on 28/10/2022 15:59

Posted on 28/10/2022 15:59

I think its wise to check with the site beforehand if you think that there may be a grey area. For example, we have taken 2 cars with us on occasion. One site said it was ok so long as it fitted on the pitch, another said it had to stay in the car park. We've had the same conversation about visitors cars. A quick phonecall is all it takes

mickysf replied on 28/10/2022 19:14

Posted on 28/10/2022 15:59 by TimboC

I think its wise to check with the site beforehand if you think that there may be a grey area. For example, we have taken 2 cars with us on occasion. One site said it was ok so long as it fitted on the pitch, another said it had to stay in the car park. We've had the same conversation about visitors cars. A quick phonecall is all it takes

Posted on 28/10/2022 19:14

Sometimes its what we don’t always immediately comprehend that makes the difference so yes, ask, not that they will change the rules but they may be able to help if circumstances allow. For instance, we booked a hard standing, it was suggested that we could put the pup tent on the grass behind as there were no pitches beyond this . We were asked to keep it immediately behind (not to the sides) and to move the tent onto the pitch during the day so the grass didn’t suffer (we were there for a week) and the staff could cut the grass and hedge behind if needed. Sorted, it’s good to talk, but don’t expect to get your own way every time! 
That phone call may not help because it may just be down to the specific pitch you choose on arrival.

eurortraveller replied on 28/10/2022 20:30

Posted on 28/10/2022 20:30

JT Camper, It just strikes me as a shame that the happy, relaxed, informal camping /caravanning I enjoyed all my life has changed so much .

And that now the Club has formalised things so much - dividing those who have Premium pitches from those  who don’t - and enforcing rules of where one can or cannot put up a pup tent for the children.

Things have indeed become formalised  regimented, rule bound and sanitised to a degree. I myself left Club sites when they started to leave me so I hope you will find a happier situation somewhere else next time.

Good wishes.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook