Pitching a slide out caravan

scotkb replied on 02/09/2021 21:51

Posted on 02/09/2021 21:51

hi all , were looking to get a slide out caravan , are these allowed on caravan club pitches ?  if so how are they pitched ? van to the peg then open slide out ?  van 2 feet from the peg then slide out to meet the peg ? slideout is about 2 feet wide ? anybody know what the caravan clubs view is on this ? 

Tinwheeler replied on 02/09/2021 22:04

Posted on 02/09/2021 22:04

I think you need to do as Nellie suggests as the rest of us would only be guessing. The only thing we know for sure is that there must be a 6m gap between facing walls of caravans/MHs.

cyberyacht replied on 03/09/2021 09:12

Posted on 03/09/2021 09:12

Pitches are probably like car parking spaces. Designed when everything was a lot narrower.

Goldie146 replied on 03/09/2021 11:58

Posted on 03/09/2021 11:58

A couple of years ago at New England Bay - the pitches towards the back are wide. Sorry it's a bad photo!

And last month a slide out drove past us at Englethwaite Hall and somehow parked up in awkwardly shaped corner pitch. I assume they contacted the site in advance.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/09/2021 14:27

Posted on 03/09/2021 14:27

Whilst I have seen RV's and Fifth Wheelers with slide outs on Club sites I don't recall seeing a caravan with them. I agree with others that you either have to discuss it direct with a campsite you are visiting perhaps, initially, an email direct to the Club to establish whether there is any policy on this or whether its up to local considerations. It would be interesting to see a photo of your set up.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 03/09/2021 15:03

Posted on 03/09/2021 15:03

We've seen the same one at a couple of club sites, Gwern-y- Bwlch (remember WN?) and Bromyard Downs but can't remember how they were pitched up, so sorry not a lot of help.

KeefySher replied on 03/09/2021 16:11

Posted on 03/09/2021 16:11

Have seen  5th wheelers on each of the 3 CAMC sites we used this summer school holidays.

At Gowerton one was pitched across the grass pitch with rear nearside to the peg line (if you drew a perpendicular line forward from the peg) with an awning facing to the rear of the pitch with the slide out extended on both sides of the unit and a sun canopy at the front of the pitch. It seemed very like the one in the site page images.

At Chapel Lane one was pitched nose in with front nearside to the peg and the sides extended.HS pitch

At Lyn y Coed one was back in nearside to peg with sides extended, no awning. HS pitch

These three sites have pitches not to the new CAMC car park standard with plenty of green space between, hence why we chose to spend our valuable holiday time on them. As I drove on site in 1st gear at 5 mph or below I had time to observe my surroundings without fear of causing incident or accident to other holidaymakers. 

The space allowed holidaymakers children to ride bicycles, scooters, skateboards to their hearts delight with plenty of clear vision to avert pedestrians and motor vehicles. It was a delight to see children making friends and playing games with balls, bats, rackets etc just like when we woz kids in the halcyon days before elf and safe tea, paranoia of everyone being a child molester or axe murderer, curtain twitching and roolz is roolz.The LED lighted flagpole fitted in with other lighting adornments used by other happy campers.

We enjoyed this carefree, relaxed site atmosphere and stunning locations and activities available so much, we will visit again. A right proper school summer holiday as a family in these strange times.

mickysf replied on 03/09/2021 17:12

Posted on 03/09/2021 17:12

The peg is there to assist the maintenance of fire breaks. With most units do as suggest and if in doubt ask the site staff for guidance. When we had a trailer tent we found the staff helpful as it opened up in all directions. Some pitches were not suitable but others were. Even non awnings in certain positions were possible. Just ask as suggested on the site plan given to you on checking in.

cabbiemick replied on 03/09/2021 18:56

Posted on 03/09/2021 18:56

we have also thought of getting a slide out we asked the club about it a stanard pitch can take up to 8.4 meter but most site have some bigger you will have to ring site to arrange this if your van slides out on left the slide out should be on peg if it slides out both sides you will have to put car in car park hope this helps

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook