Pitch Types

birdwatcher7 replied on 29/04/2022 10:12

Posted on 29/04/2022 10:12

We are currently visiting Cirencester Park site. I booked a standard pitch with awning but on arrival was shocked to find that some of the pitches would only just fit my caravan and half the car on, never mind trying to get an awning on. Why do they not sell these as no awning pitches? At all other CAMC sites we have been to these would be blue pegs. It is very deceiving to mark them as white.

SteveL replied on 29/04/2022 10:32

Posted on 29/04/2022 10:32

I agree. They should really market them as small / porch awning. I’ve noticed they have started marketing a few of them as multi surface, at £1 extra a night, where if the ground conditions are suitable you can erect an awning on the grass divide. Presumably there must be enough clearance.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/04/2022 11:12

Posted on 29/04/2022 11:12

Awning/non-awning is very often decided by the gap between pitches rather than the size of the pitch itself. Having said that, the HS's are small at that site.

birdwatcher7 replied on 29/04/2022 11:33

Posted on 29/04/2022 11:33

Seems very unfair. You book expecting a standard pitch. CAMC are usually very reliable for that. Lovely location but a lot of the pitches let it down.

DavidKlyne replied on 29/04/2022 12:15

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:15

Fortunately as a motorhomer it doesn't have the same impact on us as someone needing to get car, caravan and awning on the pitch. Another site we use regularly is Moreton in Marsh and many pitches there are on the small size although I understand they have been upgrading them over the last couple of years. I thought the same was happening at Cirencester as the last time we were there we had a pretty decent pitch. However if the site is busy all the best pitches will be taken, probably leaving only the smaller pitches?

David 

Arch replied on 29/04/2022 12:23

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:23

Pitches are spaced to a minimum distance of 6 mtrs between units facing walls as far as I know distance between awnings and length of pitch dont come within any rules, I've seen many pitches that in my opinion shouldn't be classed as a pitch.

SteveL replied on 29/04/2022 12:30

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:15 by DavidKlyne

Fortunately as a motorhomer it doesn't have the same impact on us as someone needing to get car, caravan and awning on the pitch. Another site we use regularly is Moreton in Marsh and many pitches there are on the small size although I understand they have been upgrading them over the last couple of years. I thought the same was happening at Cirencester as the last time we were there we had a pretty decent pitch. However if the site is busy all the best pitches will be taken, probably leaving only the smaller pitches?

David 

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:30

There is one section, first right turn after the entrance where they are larger and of course the service pitches they put in a few years ago. However, there are still a lot of the narrow variety where you park across the front. Some of which, as I mentioned, they have made multi surface. However, like yourself with a MH and no desire to have anything but a wind out awning, it isn’t the same problem.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/04/2022 12:36

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:23 by Arch

Pitches are spaced to a minimum distance of 6 mtrs between units facing walls as far as I know distance between awnings and length of pitch dont come within any rules, I've seen many pitches that in my opinion shouldn't be classed as a pitch.

Posted on 29/04/2022 12:36

Distance between awnings/cars certainly does come into the equation.

birdwatcher7 replied on 29/04/2022 13:14

Posted on 29/04/2022 13:14

It is already stressful arriving at CAMC sites when you don’t know where you will be pitched but to then find you can’t fit on a pitch because they are not big enough think it’s time to give CAMC sites a miss. When you are staying for 12 nights you don’t want to dump your van on any old pitch. 

EmilysDad replied on 29/04/2022 13:45

Posted on 29/04/2022 13:45

A white peg pitch that we used at Castleton a few years back had turned into a blue peg pitch by the next time we went. That's why I suggested that there should be a price difference between white & blue pegs .... it might deter the little VW camper from being sat in the middle of a huge awning pitch while that car/caravan/awning are trying to squeeze onto to some of the smaller awning pitches ....

sits back with pop corn waiting for the barrage of 'opinions' of how a small camper is perfectly entitled to use the huge awning pitches etc etc etc 🍿🍿🍿

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook