Picking Up Cancellations When Onsite

vbfg replied on 20/09/2023 12:17

Posted on 20/09/2023 12:17

Prior to last year's change in the booking conditions, on a number of ocassions I had picked up a spare night on a number of sites (which had not been available when I booked online, shortly  before travel), due to people phoning to cancel and the site staff contacting me, to advise me that there was now a cancellation.

Can we still obtain a cancellation onsite, or are we expected to look online (not always possible as the internet is not very good at some sites) or phone the booking office (again not always possible as there may not be any mobile phone service at the site)?

young thomas replied on 20/09/2023 12:44

Posted on 20/09/2023 12:44

As well as 'more commitment' from members, the 21 day period for cancellations should benefit the club by the fact that there's now three weeks to resell the pitch rather than three days as before...

If the club want to get in the front foot to sell these, especially as there will be folk trying to build tours etc and need a night here and there, then you'd hope things like 'waiting lists' would be to the fore in each club site.

In the past, we too have left messages asking to be contacted should a pitch become available. I'd hope this process is still in place to provide those looking to collect extra day the sites that come up from cancellations.

matching (increasing) supply to (ready made) demand is surely an easy sell?

JollyKernow replied on 21/09/2023 10:25

Posted on 20/09/2023 12:17 by vbfg

Prior to last year's change in the booking conditions, on a number of ocassions I had picked up a spare night on a number of sites (which had not been available when I booked online, shortly  before travel), due to people phoning to cancel and the site staff contacting me, to advise me that there was now a cancellation.

Can we still obtain a cancellation onsite, or are we expected to look online (not always possible as the internet is not very good at some sites) or phone the booking office (again not always possible as there may not be any mobile phone service at the site)?

Posted on 21/09/2023 10:25

Yes.

JK

vbfg replied on 22/09/2023 08:43

Posted on 21/09/2023 10:25 by JollyKernow

Yes.

JK

Posted on 22/09/2023 08:43

Thank you for the answer JK, although it appears that the staff at Burrs do not want to bother taking your name and phone number (in case anyone phones to cancel), as has happened to me twice now in the last 10 months. Hardly a very onerous task!

It is such a shame that whilst most of the CMHC wardens and on site staff make an effort to help, there are the ocassional ones who don't!

Takethedogalong replied on 22/09/2023 12:18

Posted on 22/09/2023 12:18

In over 30 years of Membership, we’ve never had staff phone us re a cancellation, we have always popped into reception each day, sometimes a couple of times a day, if we wanted to extend a stay. Usually got what we needed. Not sure if this would work now with new centralised booking system🤔

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook