Paying in advance

ScreenName6E95ABA7AE replied on 22/11/2022 18:51

Posted on 22/11/2022 18:51

Hi I was of the understanding that with the new booking system that we would be allocated pitches in future rather than picking our own. However recently visited a site,  and despite being asked when paying if I needed a pitch near to the toilets or service points , was told by the warden that they wouldn't alllocate pitches as it was impossible with large numbers. I actually would prefer to find my own pitch but if they were allocated I wouldn't worry about arriving a bit later. I must have got the wrong end of the stick but this was the way I thought the club was moving

JVB66 replied on 22/11/2022 19:06

Posted on 22/11/2022 19:06

The only allocation of pitches will only normally only be the type of pitch you have chosen when booking ie grass,hardstanding,service etc not a specific pitch on most sites some larger outfits may only fit on some pitches and those with disabilities may need a pitch near to the facilities 

Cornersteady replied on 22/11/2022 19:54

Posted on 22/11/2022 19:54

I can't recall there being a clear statement by the club on this, one or two sites may have done for one reason or another but all this year it's choose your own for me.

mickysf replied on 22/11/2022 20:09

Posted on 22/11/2022 20:09

It’s the booking of specific types of pitches, not the booking of specific individual pitches. This I can live with. The booking of specific pitches would not work and would be against the touring tradition of the Club. Pick from all that are vacant in your booked type of pitch on arrival, that’s brilliant!

DavidKlyne replied on 22/11/2022 20:58

Posted on 22/11/2022 20:58

In normal circumstances the Club allows members to select from any available pitch of the type booked. If, of course, there is only one of the type of pitches you have booked left then obviously the site staff can only direct you to that one pitch. More Hobsons Choice than allocation in that case. There may be special circumstances where someone with a particularly large outfit might be directed to a specific pitch. Another exception is a site with ferry pitches where you might be allocated a pitch based on when you are leaving the next day, a good example is Black Horse Farm but even that might depend on how busy they are?

David

Graydjames replied on 23/11/2022 18:02

Posted on 22/11/2022 20:09 by mickysf

It’s the booking of specific types of pitches, not the booking of specific individual pitches. This I can live with. The booking of specific pitches would not work and would be against the touring tradition of the Club. Pick from all that are vacant in your booked type of pitch on arrival, that’s brilliant!

Posted on 23/11/2022 18:02

I can do more than "live with" the ability to book the type of pitch. It's not a constraint surely for anyone. If it guarantees that I never have to pitch on grass then it is an absolute boon. For others who prefer grass, it must be good for them too. 

The OP was merely expecting that a pitch would be allocated. It wasn't that he expected to be able to book a specific pitch. Since you raised it, however, I have always thought how good it would be if you could book a specific pitch. I've often tried to work out why it is not workable, as many claim. I've never been sure about this - may it is maybe it isn't. I know there are a few commercial sites that allow you to pick your pitch when you book.

Of course, it would be a challenge for the booking system, I do get that, and perhaps further changes are not to be encouraged!  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook