Oxford's Zero Emission Zone

DavidKlyne replied on 03/03/2022 15:06

Posted on 03/03/2022 15:06

Oxford has introduced a zero emission zone in the centre of Oxford, initially it covers quite a small area of the City Centre but from 2025 it will be enlarged. See picture below for area covered (right click on picture of map to open in new window which will make it larger) Charges range from 28th February to August 2025 from £2 to £10 depending on the engine emissions. Euro  4 petrol and diesel Euro 6 are charged at £4 day initial rising to £8 a day in 2025. 

More information here  

I am not sure it will impact much on our hobby as I would think it would be pretty rare for someone to take a motorhome that close to the centre. Unless Oxford City Centre is your destination there are good roads that avoid going anywhere near the centre and the zone. Oxford also has some excellent P&R's so there is really no need to take a car into the area anyway. Blue badge holders can apply for a discount which seems to reduce the cost to zero.

David

DSB replied on 04/03/2022 11:39

Posted on 04/03/2022 11:39

I haven't been back to Oxford for a few years now, but tend not to take the car into the centre as parking isn't good at the best of times.  I tend to park at the Pear Tree and take the Park and Ride.  There is also a useful park and ride on the SE of the city - useful for anyone using the Oxford C&CC site.... Redbridge Park and Ride - just off the Southern By-pass.

David

ChocolateTrees replied on 07/03/2022 11:53

Posted on 07/03/2022 11:53

I go in a few times a year, mostly to meet friends in the evening. Since I have had my PHEV, I have used the new Westgate centre parking (which will be inside the expanded emissions zone). With 50 free EV chargers it's easy to get a topup. For £3.50 parking all evening, I get enough charge to refill either of my cars, and in the EV that means my outward journey (40ish miles) is free too. It's an excellent incentive to visit Oxford more :-)

NutsyH replied on 09/03/2022 09:02

Posted on 07/03/2022 11:53 by ChocolateTrees

I go in a few times a year, mostly to meet friends in the evening. Since I have had my PHEV, I have used the new Westgate centre parking (which will be inside the expanded emissions zone). With 50 free EV chargers it's easy to get a topup. For £3.50 parking all evening, I get enough charge to refill either of my cars, and in the EV that means my outward journey (40ish miles) is free too. It's an excellent incentive to visit Oxford more :-)

Posted on 09/03/2022 09:02

Might be free to you, not to me. OCC are spending £72m of council taxpayers money (IE mine and many others) on installing chargers county wide. Why? Council tax doesn't pay for installation of fuel stations, or the fuel they provide. Don't know who paid for the westgate chargers, but I bet it wasn't the developers.

Bragging rights, thats why. OCC are one of the most anti car counties in the country (Khan just about beats them). They are boasting on local radio that they are the leading county for provision of charging points - at taxpayers expense. It would be better spent on repairing potholes - worst in the country.

Rant over.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/03/2022 10:09

Posted on 09/03/2022 09:02 by NutsyH

Might be free to you, not to me. OCC are spending £72m of council taxpayers money (IE mine and many others) on installing chargers county wide. Why? Council tax doesn't pay for installation of fuel stations, or the fuel they provide. Don't know who paid for the westgate chargers, but I bet it wasn't the developers.

Bragging rights, thats why. OCC are one of the most anti car counties in the country (Khan just about beats them). They are boasting on local radio that they are the leading county for provision of charging points - at taxpayers expense. It would be better spent on repairing potholes - worst in the country.

Rant over.

Posted on 09/03/2022 10:09

It is probable that Central Government are paying the lions share of that investment, it could be as much as 75%. The decision has been made to phase out ICE cars and change to EV's. That does require expensive infrastructure and a start needs to be made now on getting it installed. 

David

replied on 09/03/2022 11:59

Posted on 09/03/2022 11:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 10/03/2022 16:52

Posted on 10/03/2022 16:52

Last we visited Oxford was from the site at Burford and we parked well outside and used some form of park and ride which I recall was very easy and convenient to use. Even then in 2015 the city centre traffic was awful, it appeared mostly very slow moving or gridlocked. So fully support this zero emission zone. 

brue replied on 10/03/2022 19:06

Posted on 10/03/2022 19:06

I can't imagine who would want to drive around in central Oxford!? It's always been better on foot.

Fozzie replied on 10/03/2022 20:33

Posted on 10/03/2022 20:33

We have regularly stayed at the CCC site,and another reason I would never drive into the City is that I would not be able to have a couple of pints at the difficult to find Turf Inn.

NutsyH replied on 25/03/2022 14:03

Posted on 09/03/2022 10:09 by DavidKlyne

It is probable that Central Government are paying the lions share of that investment, it could be as much as 75%. The decision has been made to phase out ICE cars and change to EV's. That does require expensive infrastructure and a start needs to be made now on getting it installed. 

David

Posted on 25/03/2022 14:03

David

Its still taxpayers money, whether local or central. As AD says above, it stinks.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook