Overnight on Sutton Scotney Services

mnlatham replied on 03/08/2022 22:43

Posted on 03/08/2022 22:43

Hi All, anybody stayed overnight with a caravan on Sutton Scotney Services on the A34? Did you feel safe? 

young thomas replied on 04/08/2022 08:27

Posted on 04/08/2022 08:27

Overseas, we use loads of village Aires but don't stay on motorway services. Not stayed at Sutton Scotney but have been past it a few times. Not very inviting.
There are 12 CLs within 10 miles of Winchester, where are you heading?

DavidKlyne replied on 04/08/2022 09:18

Posted on 04/08/2022 09:18

We have stopped at Sutton Scotney Services many times over the years both with car and caravan, motorhome and solo car but only for comfort/coffee breaks, south and north, so we know it quite well. You can stay there overnight but it will cost £23. I imagine you would have to use the lorry park and given southbound is en route to the ports of Southampton and Portsmouth I am not sure how peaceful a night you will get? Are you en route to Portsmouth or further south? I doubt it's any less safe than other major service stations in the UK?

David

mnlatham replied on 04/08/2022 15:01

Posted on 04/08/2022 15:01

Thanks both for your replies. We are returning to Portsmouth late December arriving in Port at 5:30pm too far to drive back to Stockport. I'm aware there are CL's but unsure about finding them in the dark. 

Tinwheeler replied on 04/08/2022 15:20

Posted on 04/08/2022 15:01 by mnlatham

Thanks both for your replies. We are returning to Portsmouth late December arriving in Port at 5:30pm too far to drive back to Stockport. I'm aware there are CL's but unsure about finding them in the dark. 

Posted on 04/08/2022 15:20

Why not check out staying at the ferry terminal overnight?

DavidKlyne replied on 04/08/2022 15:58

Posted on 04/08/2022 15:01 by mnlatham

Posted on 04/08/2022 15:58

You would have to come to some arrangement with the site staff but Club site at Morn HIll, Winchester is going to be open all year and that is even nearer to the Port than Sutton Scotney. North bound Sutton Scotney might be a little quieter than the South bound but it is still fairly near the road. Both sides have a Costa and MacD's. It's probably the only viable stop en route assuming you are heading for the M40? There is a small service station at Newbury called Tot Hill but tight for space and another at Chieveley near Oxford but a bit convoluting to get to as it serves both the M4 and the A34. If you wanted to press on there is the Warwick services on the M40.

David

SteveL replied on 05/08/2022 08:12

Posted on 05/08/2022 08:12

You would have to come to some arrangement with the site staff but Club site at Morn HIll, Winchester is going to be open all year and that is even nearer to the Port than Sutton Scotney.

It shouldn’t be a problem as they are showing prices (but no availability) for ferry pitches right through the year. If it’s like Rookesbury you have to phone the site to book, giving details of your ferry / arrival time.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook