Norway touring with dogs

ScreenNameAE6BE8A402 replied on 10/09/2023 08:44

Posted on 10/09/2023 08:44

Hi, my wife wants to go to Norway for her 50th, in 2 years time, now the Newcastle to Bergen ferry no longer runs, what’s the best way to get there, bearing in mind, we have 2 collies. We probably only have 2 weeks max for the trip as well.

thanks Rob

KjellNN replied on 10/09/2023 14:40

Posted on 10/09/2023 14:40

There are a few options.......are you taking a caravan?   Where in Norway do you want to be? 

Ferry to the continent.....Hull to Rotterdam, Harwich to the Hook, Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, or use the Tunnel........whatever route works best for you.

Then drive either north into and across Denmark, bridge to Sweden then drive north to Norway, or ferry from north of Denmark to Oslo or southern Norway.

Or, board out the dogs and fly there..........good fares with Norwegian.

Or .....take a fjord  cruise.

If driving, especially with caravan, 2 weeks is not really enough, distances are huge and there are very few motorways.

moulesy replied on 10/09/2023 15:10

Posted on 10/09/2023 15:10

Rob - I have to say that sounds a bit unrealistic with dogs, particularly active ones like Collies - they're going to spend a lot of travelling time cooped up in the car, especially if you're hoping to do the trip in 2 weeks.

Far better to find a really good boarding kennels in your area (or even home sitters) and fly out and hire a car once there. I know some folk wouldn't countenance that with dogs and we are lucky in having a very good kennels  (part run by a former student of mine) but I really think both you and the dogs would have a much more relaxing and enjoyable fortnight that way.

Good luck with the planning! smile

KjellNN replied on 10/09/2023 15:34

Posted on 10/09/2023 15:34

The Hurtigruten  costal cruises are very good too, you can sail all the way up the  coast as far as you wish and then return by plane, or boat, or in some cases train.

Hurtigruten....." fast  route " when literally translated, is the coastal steamer that serves all the main coastal towns in the country, and was formerly the only way to travel.  These days flying is more popular, but the steamers are still well used.

Lutz replied on 10/09/2023 20:44

Posted on 10/09/2023 20:44

We took the caravan and found that even four weeks was pushing things without spending all the time on the road.

KjellNN replied on 10/09/2023 21:41

Posted on 10/09/2023 21:41

Our last trip to Norway in 2014 took 4 months in total, but we did take plenty of time to stop various places along the way, including some time in Berlin on the way back.

We also stayed about 2 months with my sister and at my former family home, where I organised installing a new window and replacing a small roof, so it was not all "holiday"..........more like hard work!!

It is rather a long way to where I used  to live, and even further to the  far north of the  country, where we have been only once with caravan, back in 2007 when I retired.

ScreenNameAE6BE8A402 replied on 11/09/2023 10:02

Posted on 11/09/2023 10:02

Hi, thanks for all the advice, it’s really what I suspected, it’s a long way, especially as we shared to get up towards Bergen at least. I think we’ll have to have a rethink. We really do need to take the dogs and cooped up in the car for hours and hours, isn’t good. We’d be taking the caravan, which I forgot to mention, maybe the Alps is a better option or Pyrenees 

KjellNN replied on 11/09/2023 11:34

Posted on 11/09/2023 11:34

You did mention "touring" though of course that can just be by car.

What time of year were you planning to go?

Many campsites in Norway have "hytter"  (huts)  which are anything from a basic wooden cabin to a glamping pod, the basic ones can be hired by the night, but you would need to take your own bedding, towels etc, and  maybe some means of preparing food.  You would be using the campsite facilities, some have kitchens available for use.

Outside of the school summer break.....mid June till mid August.....there would be no need to book ahead.   Some of the small country hotels can be reasonably priced, and there are also some Motels.    Check out Visit Norway for info.

If the Bergen area is your aim, you could take the ferry from the north of Denmark to the south of Norway and drive a circular route using the inland road one way and returning via the coastal route.  I would think you could easily reach the north of Denmark  in 2 days of driving.  Denmark is very flat, and the roads are good.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook