Northern Ireland and dogs

Alison32 replied on 12/11/2023 10:38

Posted on 12/11/2023 10:38

I am looking for some advice please for our ideas about going to Northern Ireland to do the coastal route for a couple of weeks in April next year. We have two small dogs and our ideal trip away is to enjoy lovely walks during the day and end up in a local pub for a few drinks at the end of it. A few people have told us that Ireland is not that dog friendly as far as taking them inside venues and that we may struggle to find places that are accepting.

Have any of you tried this or heard anything that might help us either choose a route or even think about another tour to Scotland or Wales where we might find it easier?

Thanks

Alison

Takethedogalong replied on 12/11/2023 11:59

Posted on 12/11/2023 11:59

I doubt Ireland is more difficult to tour with a dog than anywhere else in British Isles. Just needs some research and going with a common sense approach. As in UK, many places, particularly serving food, may restrict visitors to certain areas of a building, or even outside eateries only, and most UK historic houses (NT, HHA) have certain restrictions for allowing dogs, so it’s just common sense here as it will be there. This might be a useful website, there will be others to check out for proper facts, and not hearsay…..

https://pawsfriendly.com/pet-friendly-blog/dog-friendly-pubs-in-ireland#:~:text=Dogs%20are%20allowed%20in%20many,restaurants%2C%20and%20activities%20across%20Ireland.

We have toured both areas of Wales and Scotland, and do similar research for going there. Pubs are always at either the landlord or brewery chain discretion. Avoid Wetherspoon’s.

nelliethehooker replied on 12/11/2023 20:37

Posted on 12/11/2023 20:37

Alison, a friend of ours toured the whole coast of Ireland last year with her dog and she did find that some places don't allow dogs in, but she just googled Dog Friendly Pubs and categorised for her, just as tda suggests above.

Alison32 replied on 13/11/2023 11:26

Posted on 13/11/2023 11:26

Thanks a lot - I do always research but then some of the comments I had been given just made me doubt.

However I will properly go into it and sort out my tour.

THanks

Brian1 replied on 13/11/2023 21:29

Posted on 13/11/2023 21:29

It's 7 or 8 years since we were there, but our experience was that Ireland generally (North and South) was less dog friendly than mainland UK.  There are places where you can take dogs, but less common.  Great apart from that though !

Tirril replied on 19/11/2023 21:20

Posted on 19/11/2023 21:20

On a slightly different point about dogs a motorhomer friend mentioned that the additional papers etc required to take dogs to N.I were not being required for ferry journeys. I have checked and officially the matter seems to be awaiting official confirmation for the last two years and as a result is not being enforced. Attached is a link (page down to the highlighted section).

https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets#:~:text=On%2015%20September%202021%2C%20DAERA,UK%20government%20and%20EU%20continue.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook