Motorway Services parking

geoffeales replied on 07/10/2021 11:47

Posted on 07/10/2021 11:47

I know I've had a rant about this before, but it would seem more and more drivers are mis-using caravan spaces at motorway services. The whole point of these spaces is so we tuggers can drive in and out without having to reverse, and yet on our latest journey north we found vans, trucks and even a hearse using the few spaces allocated. Not wishing to start a war of words here, but small motorhomes and campers really don't need to use these spaces either - and now there are white vans, car trailers and all sorts which should surely be in the trucks section (with the current driver shortage they looked half-empty). It would be great to have a list of caravan-friendly services where we can pull in and out clearly and safely. Let me start the list with Gloucester services (north and southbound).

eurortraveller replied on 07/10/2021 12:03

Posted on 07/10/2021 12:03

Much depends on time of day, day of the week and season of the year. Sometimes service stations are busy ,sometimes not so bad. 

Even Exeter services, which regularly get bad reports on here, often has space towards the bottom of the site. I think it’s the tortuous access for southbound traffic via roundabout with multiple traffic lights and repeated change of lanes which deters people from trying their luck there. But Taunton Deane southbound on M5 is better.

Alex Cassells replied on 07/10/2021 18:56

Posted on 07/10/2021 18:56

It's always a bit of Russian Roulette pulling into the service stations I feel. Very rarely do we get into the spots for caravans. More often than not we are in with the lorries, which we're ok with. But on the odd occasion have had to drive straight back out again and on to next one as there were no spaces long enough to stop in. I always expect the worst now and am happily surprised if we get a parking spot easily.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/10/2021 20:58

Posted on 07/10/2021 20:58

I think the problem with service areas are that many of them are not even user friendly for motorhomes other than perhaps the smaller PVC's. It's not so bad if the have drive through parking but many of them don't, so anything over six metres long would stick out too far. In those circumstances we really have no option but to use the longer bays provided for caravans. It's probably the same reason you find commercial vans in the parking. I am perfectly happy to go in with the trucks but that is not always allowed. As the Government are discovering to their cost when trying to persuade more people to become HGV drivers one of the main reasons why people don't want to is the terrible roadside/motorway facilities. For the volume of vehicles using our motorways there is just insufficient parking.

David

replied on 08/10/2021 08:09

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:09

I have never used a drive through parking when caravanning also never parked in a motorway services for the last 15 years

SteveL replied on 08/10/2021 08:39

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:09 by

I have never used a drive through parking when caravanning also never parked in a motorway services for the last 15 years

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:39

I suppose a roadside laybye could be considered drive through, as you don’t generally reverse out of them.😉

SteveL replied on 08/10/2021 08:45

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:45

Sensibly the parking supervisor at Wetherby services puts two MH’s in the drive through bays. If your at the back you may of course have to reverse out, which isn’t really an issue.

replied on 08/10/2021 08:57

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:39 by SteveL

I suppose a roadside laybye could be considered drive through, as you don’t generally reverse out of them.😉

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:57

Rarely use those either Steve unless running too early for arrival time. Also I prefer these days to keep below a 2 hour drive as much as possible.

replied on 08/10/2021 08:58

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:45 by SteveL

Sensibly the parking supervisor at Wetherby services puts two MH’s in the drive through bays. If your at the back you may of course have to reverse out, which isn’t really an issue.

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:58

Never heard of a services parking supervisor Steve

brue replied on 08/10/2021 09:00

Posted on 08/10/2021 09:00

There are no standards regarding this subject, some places offer good parking others not. It's always bad during school holidays, there's just not enough capacity at peak times. Although it would be OK for some motorhomes to use normal parking areas it can mean we get stuck in tight areas so it's not always easy for us.

brue replied on 08/10/2021 09:05

Posted on 08/10/2021 08:45 by SteveL

Posted on 08/10/2021 09:05

Probably the best run services around! But I think Gloucester services, because they are relatively new are also very good.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook