Motorhome service point on sites

Sharon chadderton replied on 08/09/2021 17:16

Posted on 08/09/2021 17:16

If you are a member on the club are you allowed to go on a site to only use the motorhome point I.e. water and empty tanks?

JVB66 replied on 08/09/2021 17:19

Posted on 08/09/2021 17:19

No , the  motor caravan sevice points on sites are for the use of those staying at the site

Ps why do you ask?

I understand the camping club allow you to access their sites for a charge £7? to use their facilities

Tinwheeler replied on 08/09/2021 18:56

Posted on 08/09/2021 18:56

JVB is correct. The club has given reasons in the past for only allowing those staying on site to use the MHSPs. I seem to recall causing congestion was cited and the club also stated it did not want to be seen to be effectively condoning wildcamping.

Various service points and aire-type set ups are beginning to appear around the country and these will probably meet your needs but, if all else fails, book onto a site for a night or so.

DavidKlyne replied on 08/09/2021 21:11

Posted on 08/09/2021 21:11

There are other issues that probably prevent the CMC opening their sites to use that sort of facility. There would obviously be a charge for it. Receptions seem to be open less and less these days which could restrict the availability of such a service. Also, I imagine, that the Club wouldn't want motorhomes coming into the site at the busiest arrival times for people staying on site, so with such restrictions would it be a worthwhile service? There are a handful of sites where the motorhome point is near the entrance which perhaps would make it an easier option but there are not enough sites like that to make it a worthwhile project. 

David

EmilysDad replied on 08/09/2021 23:38

Posted on 08/09/2021 21:11 by DavidKlyne

There are other issues that probably prevent the CMC opening their sites to use that sort of facility. There would obviously be a charge for it. Receptions seem to be open less and less these days which could restrict the availability of such a service. Also, I imagine, that the Club wouldn't want motorhomes coming into the site at the busiest arrival times for people staying on site, so with such restrictions would it be a worthwhile service? There are a handful of sites where the motorhome point is near the entrance which perhaps would make it an easier option but there are not enough sites like that to make it a worthwhile project. 

David

Posted on 08/09/2021 23:38

It makes no difference to me ... I have a caravan. If there was a will, I'm sure the club could find a way. Apparently the 'other club' allows this option & on the C&CC site I was on this week, the MH service point was on the exit to the site ... they seemed to manage & there seemed to rarely be anyone in the office. I was pitched not far from the exit & there wasn't a steady stream of MHs using it. And surely if you were a MH that wanted to use this facility common sense would tell you not to arrive at 12/1 o'clock when the new arrivals came .... 

SteveL replied on 09/09/2021 06:53

Posted on 09/09/2021 06:53

I’m not sure if the C&CC are even allowing dump and fill currently. If they are, barriers / the big signs saying arrivals only between 1 and  8pm and nobody in reception, would mean it could  only be available in the afternoon. If it’s circa £7 and you qualify for the age related  discount, you might as well stop the night in any event. Our HS with electric is only £19 a night.

young thomas replied on 09/09/2021 10:06

Posted on 08/09/2021 23:38 by EmilysDad

It makes no difference to me ... I have a caravan. If there was a will, I'm sure the club could find a way. Apparently the 'other club' allows this option & on the C&CC site I was on this week, the MH service point was on the exit to the site ... they seemed to manage & there seemed to rarely be anyone in the office. I was pitched not far from the exit & there wasn't a steady stream of MHs using it. And surely if you were a MH that wanted to use this facility common sense would tell you not to arrive at 12/1 o'clock when the new arrivals came .... 

Posted on 09/09/2021 10:06

This may be a Covid precaution...however, you're right...where theres a will...

in some other places, its not only common but pretty much expected that touring MH can call into sites they are not staying on, to refill with water etc for a small fee, usually about €2.

sites are often designed differently so that these visitors dont actually enter the site via a barrier, the MHSP is generally at, or very near to, the exit....some even have two adjacent MHSPs. 

visitors dont impact the site at all, they either come to the office for a token (for water) or pay a cash fee on trust..

the site residents generally don't even know they're there.

its a different mindset, where a demand for a service is met with a fit for purpose product on pretty much every site.

i guess their view might be that by providing a proper place for tourers to empty waste cheaply and conveniently, they are ensuring that folk do the right thing.

another view might be totally to the contrary and that allowing this service 'encourages wild camping'....

perhaps that stance it might actually encourage folk to act less responsibly?

yes, its a mindset thing, different ideas on catering for all types of touring.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/09/2021 10:17

Posted on 08/09/2021 23:38 by EmilysDad

Posted on 09/09/2021 10:17

As I mentioned there are not many CMC sites where the dump facilities are near the entrance. Seacroft and I think Southport have that option. So I suppose some payment option could be organised to avoid the need for there to be anyone available to take the payment. As most motorhome dump facilities are in the middle of the site, usually near the toilet block, this requires access to the site. If reception is unmanned how is that achieved? I am not sure I would trust in common sense, many don't seem to understand when they should arrive at the site if they have a booking!

young thomas replied on 09/09/2021 10:58

Posted on 09/09/2021 10:58

The 'MHSP in the middle' just shows how little CC knew (or have learned) about motorhoming....

we were on Baltic Wharf parked just past the MHSP....on leaving I had to drive all the way round the site to empty and then around again to get out!

every day at leaving time you can imagine every MH doing two unnecessary laps of the site thanks to the poor location and the one way system...

ok, BW struggles for space but it gives the idea of how poor thinking/design can have a huge effect on traffic flow and patience...

as DK says, we're too far down the line with many, many poorly located MHSP to 'allow' visitors....adding a drive over grid improves things but can't address the location issues throughout the network.

replied on 10/09/2021 10:16

Posted on 10/09/2021 10:16

And then there is my mindset "if people choose to camp where the facilities do not meet their requirements it is up to them to meet their needs and not for CMC to provide". 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook