Modbury Club Site

KeithRA replied on 05/07/2024 20:38

Posted on 05/07/2024 20:38

Lovely  site with excellent wardens. Pity it is not more well supported as the reports of access difficulties  are overblown. All you need is a little patience  and anticipation. 

Tinwheeler replied on 05/07/2024 20:51

Posted on 05/07/2024 20:51

I’ve noticed several reviewers of Modbury site complaining about the access. They are ordinary Devon lanes and not particularly difficult. Buses, farm traffic and HGVs use them all the time so there’s nothing exceptional about caravans/MHs. People live there and cope with the roads on a daily basis and there are also 2 or 3 other sites in the vicinity and the users there seem to manage.

I wonder if the folk who comment on the roads live in areas where nice straight dual carriageways are the norm? Whatever, anyone visiting the Westcountry should realise roads in rural areas tend to be a bit on the narrow side.

Arch replied on 05/07/2024 21:09

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:09

TW I presume you've used the Modbury site it is accessed by no ordinary Devon country Rd I've used many, the access road is a single carriage rd with passing places that the majority of users (in my opinion)  have no idea how to use and quickly becomes gridlocked with bad tempered drivers who hate caravans it's the only club site I have used and sworn never to return.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/07/2024 21:33

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:09 by Arch

TW I presume you've used the Modbury site it is accessed by no ordinary Devon country Rd I've used many, the access road is a single carriage rd with passing places that the majority of users (in my opinion)  have no idea how to use and quickly becomes gridlocked with bad tempered drivers who hate caravans it's the only club site I have used and sworn never to return.

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:33

I've used the site, Arch, and am very familiar with the roads. Until moving to Cornwall, I lived in that area for many years so am well familiar with Devon's country roads. I’m not in the habit of writing about things of which I have no knowledge.

I’ve approached that site from Modbury and from California Cross as per CAMC’s directions. The former is narrower but shorter so the club's directions are probably the wisest to take. If you’re not happy with the roads around Modbury, I recommend you don’t visit the Start Bay site.

Arch replied on 05/07/2024 21:53

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:33 by Tinwheeler

I've used the site, Arch, and am very familiar with the roads. Until moving to Cornwall, I lived in that area for many years so am well familiar with Devon's country roads. I’m not in the habit of writing about things of which I have no knowledge.

I’ve approached that site from Modbury and from California Cross as per CAMC’s directions. The former is narrower but shorter so the club's directions are probably the wisest to take. If you’re not happy with the roads around Modbury, I recommend you don’t visit the Start Bay site.

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:53

I visit the start bay site often and find the route easy if taken sensibly the Modbury route is completely different it's completely out of your control it's down to luck.

eurortraveller replied on 05/07/2024 21:55

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:55

Location, location,Location. Not near a village, not near the sea, not on a bus route, not near local attractions. Pretty hopeless location really - so gets limited use and will close on 9September. Might perhaps be on tne list of loss making sites for the Club to sell.?

Tinwheeler replied on 05/07/2024 21:59

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:53 by Arch

I visit the start bay site often and find the route easy if taken sensibly the Modbury route is completely different it's completely out of your control it's down to luck.

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:59

I find it strange, Arch, that you contradict me every time I post a comment relating to the area in which I’ve lived all my life. It’s very odd.

Whatever, you must believe what you want to believe. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Arch replied on 05/07/2024 22:14

Posted on 05/07/2024 22:14

Sorry TW I was just disagreeing with your contradiction of other drivers finding the route difficult I regard myself as experienced and it's not a site I would visit again because of the access as it depends on the size of outfit you are taking, the amount of other traffic coming the opposite way and the traffic behind you observing the available passing places in front of them, if someone says they find a route difficult I tend to believe they do and be aware if I use it.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/07/2024 22:24

Posted on 05/07/2024 22:14 by Arch

Sorry TW I was just disagreeing with your contradiction of other drivers finding the route difficult I regard myself as experienced and it's not a site I would visit again because of the access as it depends on the size of outfit you are taking, the amount of other traffic coming the opposite way and the traffic behind you observing the available passing places in front of them, if someone says they find a route difficult I tend to believe they do and be aware if I use it.

Posted on 05/07/2024 22:24

Apology accepted.

You will note the OP and I were in agreement. What you say applies to the approaches to many sites.

Cornersteady replied on 06/07/2024 11:25

Posted on 05/07/2024 21:55 by eurortraveller

Location, location,Location. Not near a village, not near the sea, not on a bus route, not near local attractions. Pretty hopeless location really - so gets limited use and will close on 9September. Might perhaps be on tne list of loss making sites for the Club to sell.?

Posted on 06/07/2024 11:25

That's the problem I suppose too many moors and too many gates?

But again we've no idea if it is making a loss. And even then, isn't the idea of having a club is that perhaps those making a significant profit subsidise others for the benefit of all members?

As for closing early, other sites do too, I would suppose the closure dates are based on supply and demand. Maybe it makes enough money for the period it's open.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook