Leaving early and paying for the extra day

Veldom replied on 28/05/2023 10:07

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:07

Hi all. The wife and I are trying to figure out to get more weekends away whilst we’re both full time working and to fit in around club arrival and depart times. 

If we booked Saturday Sunday Monday. But left site Sunday evening. This would give us saturday afternoon and evening to chill. Most of Sunday to do something locally before coming home. And we just eat the cost of the third day. But it would get us around the leaving before mid day rule. 

Is this a done thing? Arriving Saturday after 1pm and leaving Sunday before 12 just isn’t worth it. But we’d love to get away more use our van more. 

Vulcan replied on 28/05/2023 10:13

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:13

Nothing at all wrong with your suggestion, I have done it on several occasions.

Cornersteady replied on 28/05/2023 10:31

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:31

Been doing it for years, and in my view totally worth it. We've even done it sometimes just for an hour or two and it again worth it so there's no rush to be off by 12. 

Takethedogalong replied on 28/05/2023 10:47

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:47

It’s the only thing you can do really to get some extra time on a Club Site, and many have been doing it for years. 

Some CLs, if not busy and if you ask beforehand might let you stay beyond their usual leave time, but it shouldn’t be taken for granted. All depends what you prefer to do. 

You don’t even get 24 hours nowadays if you only overnight at a Club Site, cannot get on before1pm, have to leave by 12 noon usually, might even be earlier at some sites, I am not sure. The Club won’t mind you paying but not staying.

Veldom replied on 28/05/2023 10:52

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:47 by Takethedogalong

It’s the only thing you can do really to get some extra time on a Club Site, and many have been doing it for years. 

Some CLs, if not busy and if you ask beforehand might let you stay beyond their usual leave time, but it shouldn’t be taken for granted. All depends what you prefer to do. 

You don’t even get 24 hours nowadays if you only overnight at a Club Site, cannot get on before1pm, have to leave by 12 noon usually, might even be earlier at some sites, I am not sure. The Club won’t mind you paying but not staying.

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:52

Would be nice if the arrival time was 10 or even 11am. Not really sure why it’s so late. Not as if a pitch needs anything doing to it in the same way a hotel room would. 

Veldom replied on 28/05/2023 10:53

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:31 by Cornersteady

Been doing it for years, and in my view totally worth it. We've even done it sometimes just for an hour or two and it again worth it so there's no rush to be off by 12. 

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:53

Would you inform the site wardens or just clear off when ready to depart? 

moulesy replied on 28/05/2023 11:14

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:53 by Veldom

Posted on 28/05/2023 11:14

Always good practice to let the wardens know your intentions, I think.

The other thing worth considering is extending the start of your weekend - if you have sites close enough in areas you want to visit. When we were both working,  I would sometimes travel up on the Thursday evening to get set up, stay the night, come home to work on Friday and then we'd go up together after work. You probably get a wider choice of pitch that way, a pleasant Friday evening and the whole day on Saturday, avoiding that "wait till 1pm feeling"! smile

eurortraveller replied on 28/05/2023 11:30

Posted on 28/05/2023 11:30

Veldom,  I would choose from the list of small private sites on here - they are not as tied to rules as Clib sites and not as limited to numbers as CLs - then phone and ask if they can give you a price and a booking for a weekend package - say 1800 Friday arrival to1800 Sunday departure. If they are business minded they will probably do a deal for you.

brue replied on 28/05/2023 11:43

Posted on 28/05/2023 10:53 by Veldom

Posted on 28/05/2023 11:43

I would let them know out of politeness so they know who is on site, you'll probably be handing back keys or cards (or leaving them in a container .) Lots of people book an extra night so they have a bit longer on site or off.

ps it's one good thing about CAMC that it doesn't prevent movement on most sites (there are exceptions) other venues including the other club often have "no movement times." 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook