Kendal Caravan and Motorhome Site

Opi550v replied on 10/09/2023 10:50

Posted on 10/09/2023 10:50

Has anyone stayed at this site?  The pitch size appears very restrictive - the website will not allow me to book anything over 8m long as it says the pitches will not take it.  My caravan is 8m 30cm and I wondered if anyone has booked the site and managed to get anything  this size on the pitches?

(The 8.3 metres includes the hitch, so I am not sure if the quoted pitch sizes are the caravan including the hitch or just the length of the bit you can live in).

Any thoughts on this, or feedback on the quality of this site, would be welcome.

Tinwheeler replied on 10/09/2023 11:09

Posted on 10/09/2023 11:09

It’s not an easy site for manoeuvring onto pitches. The length is, as far as I know, the total length that will occupy the pitch, ie shipping length. Your best bet is probably to ring the site warden. Ask for a call back if you get the ans machine.

MikeyA replied on 10/09/2023 11:21

Posted on 10/09/2023 11:21

From memory it is a wooded site and can be miserable in bad weather. 

Can I ask the OP why he has chosen this site as it isn't at all ideal for touring the lakes. If you are in the the other Club, then the Bowness Site is ideally placed and even the Windermere site is much nearer to "the action" (whilst a simiar distance to Kendal)

MikeyA replied on 10/09/2023 11:37

Posted on 10/09/2023 11:29 by Tinwheeler

It is a wooded site so can be gloriously cool in hot weather.

Posted on 10/09/2023 11:37

Very true but rain is more likely - the recent weather has been exceptional. 

Gillway replied on 10/09/2023 12:30

Posted on 10/09/2023 12:30

As mentioned, best to speak with the staff as I believe the area known as The Glade, on the right bottom section is good for larger outfits, likewise further into the site in the 70’s. The staff normally put out cones to make sure there is adequately sized pitches available. 

KjellNN replied on 10/09/2023 15:41

Posted on 10/09/2023 15:41

CCC also have a good site just north of Kendal, but these days we always use Spittal Caravans, which is north of the centre, opposite the Queen Katherine's school.

No toilets or showers, but your van has those, and all pitches are serviced.  Very good value for money, and conveniently situated.

Wherenext replied on 10/09/2023 19:35

Posted on 10/09/2023 19:35

Like Gillway we have seen large outfits in the Glade area. Best to ring wardens.

The site has its good points and bad points. Heavily wooded as mentioned above, both good and bad, poor WiFi but good dog walking. If fit enough you could walk into Kendal more or less following the River Kent which runs past the site.

Good site for nature as well. Fine pub or two within easy walking, excellent farm shop also nearby. Sizergh NT also within walking distance.

nelliethehooker replied on 10/09/2023 20:12

Posted on 10/09/2023 12:30 by Gillway

As mentioned, best to speak with the staff as I believe the area known as The Glade, on the right bottom section is good for larger outfits, likewise further into the site in the 70’s. The staff normally put out cones to make sure there is adequately sized pitches available. 

Posted on 10/09/2023 20:12

Agree, as our next door neighbour, who has a 8m+ van has been there twice recently and, after a phone call, the warden put out a cone for him on a pitch in The Glade.

Opi550v replied on 11/09/2023 07:25

Posted on 10/09/2023 11:21 by MikeyA

From memory it is a wooded site and can be miserable in bad weather. 

Can I ask the OP why he has chosen this site as it isn't at all ideal for touring the lakes. If you are in the the other Club, then the Bowness Site is ideally placed and even the Windermere site is much nearer to "the action" (whilst a simiar distance to Kendal)

Posted on 11/09/2023 07:25

Just interested.  We usually stay at Meathop Fell, which is excellent.  Coniston is a great site, but is an absolute nightmare to get to - driving down that road is so stressful when towing there and back that it has put me off for life.

Kendal is quite a bit cheaper than Methop Fell for the dates I was looking to go, so thought I would ask the question.

We are in the Camping and Caravan Club too, so I will also have a look at that site.

KjellNN replied on 11/09/2023 10:09

Posted on 11/09/2023 07:25 by Opi550v

Just interested.  We usually stay at Meathop Fell, which is excellent.  Coniston is a great site, but is an absolute nightmare to get to - driving down that road is so stressful when towing there and back that it has put me off for life.

Kendal is quite a bit cheaper than Methop Fell for the dates I was looking to go, so thought I would ask the question.

We are in the Camping and Caravan Club too, so I will also have a look at that site.

Posted on 11/09/2023 10:09

We used CAMC Kendal once, a long time back, as a one night stopover, it was fully booked but there should have been 2 pitches vacant, we had booked.      However one owner  who should have left by 12 had decided to go out for the day, and at 4.30pm his van was still on the pitch, leaving only one smallish and very difficult to access pitch.

We had a much smaller 3 berth van at that time, but we could not have got on the pitch without a mover, and the van was really too long for the space.  The site was also very wooded and dingy at that time, I think it is  slightly better now, but we decided we would never return there.

We have used  Meathop several times, we like it, and it was very reasonably priced,  but it must have become  very popular as it has become much more expensive in the last 5-6 years.   We then switched to the CCC site north of Kendal, which we also like, but sometimes it was fully booked on hardstanding, hence our move to Spittal Caravans.

I agree with you about the road to  Coniston, one our only visit there we had our van damaged by the mirror on a MH scraping along the side of it, despite the fact we had pulled over to allow them to space to carry on.   They must have known their mirror was scraping the van, but never said anything.    So Coniston was also taken off our list!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook