Isle of Mull

Grahamgillian replied on 09/06/2024 17:12

Posted on 09/06/2024 17:12

Anyone taken a touring caravan onto Isle of Mull ? If so where did you stay and any practical issues - ferry roads etc ?

Thanks.

Navigateur replied on 09/06/2024 18:50

Posted on 09/06/2024 18:50

I took a twin axle to Mull in 1980s.  The roads are a lot better now but I had no problems with them.  I used the Fionaphort ferry and one of the officers came up to suggest to me that I wait until the following sailing as the tide would be higher and the ramp less steep.  Good move.

HelenandTrevor replied on 10/06/2024 19:39

Posted on 10/06/2024 19:39

We took our caravan to Mull last May, using the Oban to Craignure ferry which was pretty straightforward. Don't arrive too early at the terminal as you will be turned away. We made all bookings online.

There are a few sites on Mull, we stayed at Crannich caravan site near Salen. Small site approx 10 pitches and a few static caravans, lovely views, good facilities and quiet, although they do keep Peacocks and Guinea Fowl. Booking was easy and the owners were friendly and helpful.

Re the roads, apart from the road between Craignure and Salen and a stretch near Tobermory they are all single track with passing places, but they weren't busy, and we didn't have any problems getting to the site. There is a site close to Craignure if you don't fancy towing too far. The passing places as also for pulling in so others can overtake, the locals  will expect you to pull in. 

The island is beautiful and we had a wonderful week, I can recommend the various wildlife boat trips, and a visit to Iona,   but book well in advance for the sea Eagle boat they fill up very fast, but its well worth it. 

Tobermory is the main town, with a few shops including a co-op. There is good shop in Salen which seems to sell most things, also a cafe and takeaway.

Hope this helps,  I'am sure you will have a great time.

PS. Don't forget the midge repellent. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook