Is Nunnykirk Club Site suitable for motorhomes?

MountainView replied on 07/04/2022 10:54

Posted on 07/04/2022 10:54

We have a motorhome and were hoping to stay at River Breamish club site latter half of May but it's fully boked for our dates. Nunnykirk has space but it's grass. I'm hesitant about staying on grass in a motorhome in May because the ground can be soft in some sites. We'll be going out daily so we'll be regularly on and off the pitch which would make soft ground even worse.  I've tried phoning the warden to enquire but there's not warden there until the site reopens at the end of this month and I'd like to make bookings sooner than that. I've phoned the Club but they don't have any information. Does anyone have experience of motorhomes at Nunnykirk? Thanks.

eurortraveller replied on 07/04/2022 11:16

Posted on 07/04/2022 11:16

I’m afraid none of us do weather forecasts so far ahead and can’t say what the grass pitches might be like by the then.  But hard standing pitches might well be best for you and if you use UKCampsite.co.uk the campsite search facility there will let you select that sort of pitch at other sites in that area. I had a quick look and there are lots - at small sites as well as bigger ones. 

peedee replied on 07/04/2022 11:34

Posted on 07/04/2022 11:34

I've stayed there with a motorhome and cannot recall any problems but it was just an overnight and was dry. Why don't you book it and phone the site Manager when you can and if the conversation is not favourable, cancel. Chances are there will be a hardstanding cancellation anyway nearer the time you want to go if not at the time you make the phone call.

peedee

Takethedogalong replied on 07/04/2022 12:52

Posted on 07/04/2022 10:54 by MountainView

We have a motorhome and were hoping to stay at River Breamish club site latter half of May but it's fully boked for our dates. Nunnykirk has space but it's grass. I'm hesitant about staying on grass in a motorhome in May because the ground can be soft in some sites. We'll be going out daily so we'll be regularly on and off the pitch which would make soft ground even worse.  I've tried phoning the warden to enquire but there's not warden there until the site reopens at the end of this month and I'd like to make bookings sooner than that. I've phoned the Club but they don't have any information. Does anyone have experience of motorhomes at Nunnykirk? Thanks.

Posted on 07/04/2022 12:52

We have used our small 5.5m MH numerous times at Nunnykirk, but we always carry mud mats , and occasionally full waffle boards to park on grass. Nunnykirk can get a bit sticky, hence it’s a Site we never book, but call on the day and go by what the weather has been doing. The staff are usually very good at giving advice around if it will be suitable, and it’s advice best needed to be honest. Last time we were there, we were told to pitch up  in line with the pitch marker behind us, but they were happy for us to park close to the road, so no long drive over grass. We have never been stuck at all on Nunnykirk. However, we have had a phone call the last time we did book, cancelling our stay as it was bad. It’s a lovely place, lots to see close by. 

Its possible you might get something on this Site, which is just half a mile from River Breamish, and is very very nice. An ex CL, that went private a few years ago. We have stayed and loved it, but it is popular👍 https://lowhedgeley.co.uk/

Dawn F replied on 07/04/2022 16:02

Posted on 07/04/2022 16:02

Just looked at Low Hedgeley site, it looks lovely and what a bargain price compared to the CMC site just down the road!  

Know where we will be trying if we get up that way 

Settermum replied on 07/04/2022 21:42

Posted on 07/04/2022 21:42

I can recommend Low Hedgely, we've stayed many times. It's extremely well maintained and the owners are lovely. There are hard standing pitches which would be ideal for your Motorhome. It's only about 1/2 a mile from River Breamish.

ABM replied on 07/04/2022 22:15

Posted on 07/04/2022 22:15

One problem I did find with Nunnykirk is that the roadway is  about 6--> 8 inches above the grass, so you can get a good run at escaping (wink) but slip sideways as you hit the up-slope. Otherwise I did like the site in general  !

MountainView replied on 11/04/2022 10:08

Posted on 11/04/2022 10:08

Thank you everyone for your comments. I can't speak to the Nunnykirk warden until the site opens in a few weeks. In the meantime space has appeared in River Breamish (as peedee predicted) for the dates I want so I've booked these. We're travelling with family so want two pitches which is a struggle to find on most CLs which is why I've been focusing on sites (I've been able to get two pitches at River Breamish). Low Hedgeley does look very nice and if the River Breamish pitches hadn't have become available I would have given them a try.

It's unusual that the club still has sites with grass-only pitches. I prefer grass, until it rains and the ground gets soft (been stuck on several CLs). Grass certainly shortens the season: Nunnykirk doesn't open until after easter.

Thank you everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook